New to mac

Reaction score
Hey, so i bought myself an imac G4 off ebay the other day, 800mhz processor 768mb ram and 60gb hard drive with osx 10.4.11 its been tricky the past day trying to do stuff being a windows based person all my years of using computers. but my college course is in the creative industries, graphics design etc all the stuff macs were built to do. i bought the g4 due to lack of funds for a better model. i've been impressed by the speed and quality of the system for how old this machine is. i'm looking to install some adobe applications soon for my design work so i was wondering if anyone could tell me my limits with what i have, google hasn't done much. any help and tips about using macs would be appreciated since its all new to me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Perhaps you should visit Adobe's site and see what they say? Their forums might also have more info?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
i would agree with Raz0r..but welcome to Mac-Forums...i'm new as well not that new but I have learned alot from this site alone. Welcome to the Mac-World now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You can visit Adobe's website but I believe they only list the current software. Do a search in Google for the exact product and version and then add the words "system requirements" and you should get your answers. You have to manually compare the minimum system requirements with your Macs specifications.

In general the older the software the less system requirements it will need so try looking up the last 2-3 generations of the software you are interested in. Welcome to Macs by the way. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Congrats and welcome!! I made the switch lately too, and am very happy I did.

C

chas_m

I would suggest the CS3 suite, you will have to buy it used but that shouldn't be terribly expensive since it's "out of date."

I put that in quotes because I still use CS3 for graphic design nearly every day these days. My laptop really doesn't have the muscle for CS4 and thus I wouldn't get the benefits, so I'm skipping CS4 and waiting for CS5. Besides, PS CS3 was one of the better versions I can recall owning (I've been using PS for 20 years!), and Illustrator and InDesign CS3 are doing just fine for me with no issues, so I'm not "motivated" to upgrade. If I was a web designer I would probably feel differently, but I'm not. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.