Free Animation Software?

Reaction score
I'm not buying Flash. Period. So I'm wondering if there is any sort of alternative or free (oh God, please free) software that will allow me to animate 2D cartoons and that sort of thing.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Perhaps you'd like Pencil. I've heard some pretty good things about it, even though I've never personally used it. Here's a tutorial that a quick YouTube search brought up. If that's not right for you, check out GIMP. It's likely much more powerful, but it's also going to probably be more difficult to learn. Animation is handled by a plugin called GIMP GAP. It's extremely powerful, but you'd be well advised to look up any tutorials you can for it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Perhaps you'd like Pencil. I've heard some pretty good things about it, even though I've never personally used it. Here's a tutorial that a quick YouTube search brought up. If that's not right for you, check out GIMP. It's likely much more powerful, but it's also going to probably be more difficult to learn. Animation is handled by a plugin called GIMP GAP. It's extremely powerful, but you'd be well advised to look up any tutorials you can for it.

Wow, thanks. Once I get the hang of this, I can probably start making some quality content.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I've tried that already.

It's like my grandpa always said, "The god of death eats only an apple."

Did you really? Cause if you did you would have found Pencil which was the first hit on the page. Your grandpa is wrong. It's death gods only eat apples. :p

OP
S
Reaction score
Stupid translator.

Stupid me not knowing how to speak Thingymuigwhatsits.

C

chas_m

I don't know anything about it, but I recall a program called Blender which is open-source and free.

Also, at one point Maya had a free "personal learning edition." I believe they still do.

Finally, while not free, I've always been impressed by Martin Hash's Animation Master. When you have a spare $300, it's worth checking out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.