Airport card- WEP/WPA??

Reaction score
I just bought a powerbook G3 which has an airport card that only allows for WEP. Did they ever make a WPA airport card that can be installed in my 800 Mhz I-Book, or am i stuck with an insecure wireless network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
By your post, I am assuming you know the differences between WEP and WPA. Nevertheless, I do not know your answer. But what I can say is, WEP is better than not having any security.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By your post, I am assuming you know the differences between WEP and WPA. Nevertheless, I do not know your answer. But what I can say is, WEP is better than not having any security.

Just slightly since it can be cracked in 60 seconds with readily available scripts that every 13 year old whose parents lock his access down, knows how to use.

WPA didn't start to get mainstream availability until about 2004. So, anything that predates that is likely not going to have driver support for anything other than WEP. You might want to consider buying a newer WiFi adapter. Check out:

:: QuickerTek :: Transceivers ::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Well yes anyone can crack it but it's vetter than no security

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ever since I installed 10.5 on my Modded Power Mac G4 Digital Audio with old Airport Card, WPA encryption as an option showed up and works with all my access points here.

Just for the record. Pretty sure it was just WEP in 10.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I just bought a powerbook G3 which has an airport card that only allows for WEP. Did they ever make a WPA airport card that can be installed in my 800 Mhz I-Book, or am i stuck with an insecure wireless network?

Have just installed the 802.11b card and adaptor in the iMac G3 i dragged out of my brothers trash - installed Panther, did all the updates - and there was one for airport and it is now on my Dual Antenna TC with WPA. No WEP in sight as i recall.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting, so there was an update that addressed that. By the time I saw the WPA option I had long stopped using 10.3. Thanks for that heads up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.