OpenOffice Aqua for OS10.4 on a pre-Intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
OpenOffice Aqua for OS10.4 on a pre-Intel Mac?

Does it exist? Where can I download it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to purchase software and my stepdaughter needs to be able to open and work with MS Word files for her college classes.

Thanks,
Andrea

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I believe newer versions of OOo are Intel-only. There is however NeoOffice which has both Intel and PPC builds available.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware that NeoOffice is reported quite often as being sluggish on PPC Macs. If your step daughter is required to submit work that may present a problem to some teachers/lecturers who ahve been known to accept work only in Word format alas.

Office 2004 for the Mac sells reasonably second hand, make sure some of the key codes have not been used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If your step daughter is required to submit work that may present a problem to some teachers/lecturers who ahve been known to accept work only in Word format alas.
NeoOffice will save in Word .doc format. Unless the page layout is complex or if the teacher uses a lot of fancy editing features then it should be okay with text saving and reading of Word files. You just have to remember to save it as a .doc file because it doesn't do it as default.

I'm really surprised that some teachers are still using and requiring Word format. When I was in school I actually had a lot of teachers specifically tell their students to save in .rtf format which is more universal than .doc format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm really surprised that some teachers are still using and requiring Word format. When I was in school I actually had a lot of teachers specifically tell their students to save in .rtf format which is more universal than .doc format.

No surprise here. Not only educational institutes, but just about the entire corporate and legal world is *.doc only. Microsoft Office is in some ways an even larger "cash cow" for MS than Windows. MS made a fortune selling Office 2008 to Mac owners. Myself included. ;P

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Microsoft Office is in some ways an even larger "cash cow" for MS than Windows.
I had heard that Office was in fact their largest source of revenue but I could be wrong.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Official builds or non-official builds? I guess either way, it's nice to know that as long as they work.

OP
vita64
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
Thanks everyone. I'm going with the link shades provided, but if that's problematic I may take the advice that harryb2448 gave about buying a used version of the MS Office Suite which still has at least one (preferably two) code(s) left.

My stepdaughter's professor didn't specify that MS Word docs were the only acceptable format, but he does provide the homework in that format. I'm having her err on the safe side by sending back the completed homework in the same format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.