Loud humming

L

lakester

Hey guys i just installed tiger on to my 17" imac g5 and as soon as i did that it started making a really loud humming sound and its really annoying? anyone got any idea's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
does it sound mechanical or electrical?

OP
L

lakester

i think its mechanical, i think it could be something to do with the fans

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
lakester said:
i think its mechanical, i think it could be something to do with the fans

Did you install the new 10.4.1 update? That fixed a LOT of bugs from the Initial release of Tiger. It might be a bug in 10.4 tiger with your fans.

OP
L

lakester

yeah i have the update but it started making that noise before i got the update

OP
H

hill.ed

This seems to be a general problem, there has been posts on fans humming loudly on powerbooks, power macs, iBooks and now imac's. not that im saying it is tiger for sure, could just be a coinsident

OP
L

lakester

So im installing Tiger from the beggining now so hopefully it will fix the fan, if not im gunna be computerless for a few days.

Reaction score
hill.ed said:
This seems to be a general problem, there has been posts on fans humming loudly on powerbooks, power macs, iBooks and now imac's. not that im saying it is tiger for sure, could just be a coinsident

No problems here. Had tiger for about 3 weeks. Actually my PB seems alot cooler then before if that’s possible :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
My fans have been on pretty consistently since i installed tiger, and i have the update. its making me wonder if i need to clean my fans already.

OP
A

adamxj2

how do you clean the fans
I have had my g5 since the
premiered and I never cleaned mine?
SHould I

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
adamxj2 said:
how do you clean the fans
I have had my g5 since the
premiered and I never cleaned mine?
SHould I

In a big, easy to access PowerMac like yours, cleaning it from time to time is never a bad idea. Just head down to your local electronics store and buy a container of condensed air stuff (don't remember the actual name as I never really pay attention). Put your yourself in an area that is pretty well ventilated for the dust, and spray away with the condensed air. I usually clean the fans, any easy to access part of the MB, and any easy to access heat sinks (a lot of dust builds up in those cracks). Only takes a few minutes every few months and really increases any computers lifespan IMO.

-Chris

OP
L

lakester

GOT MY COMP BACK, my dads friend reinstalled tiger from the begining and now it works properly......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.