10.4.1 Eats my G5

Reaction score
I have had my G5 2.0 since last November and have installed every update that Apple has put out with NO problems what ever. I installed Tiger the day it came out with NO problems. Looks like my luck ran out. I just installed 10.4.1 on it a few minutes ago and zap, my G5 no longer will boot up.

Comes up with the white screen and the apple and the little whirley gig goes round and round. The fans come up a tad and it just sits there. After a bit it turns the screen a gray color and gives me a notice that i need to turn the power off and reboot. I get the same thing now for 5 retrys.

Any ideas?

C

crazycanadian

did you try to boot into safe mode by holding down shift during start up?

OP
James
Reaction score
crazycanadian said:
did you try to boot into safe mode by holding down shift during start up?

Yes, doesn't work, won't go into safe mode.

X

xthisisRomancex

ahh can you boot to ur Tiger Cd.. insert it in drive and boot while holding the C..
iff you have another mac with a firewire cable u can boot into target diskmode and get all important info and then boot to the Tiger CD and do a freshinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Try zapping the PRAM by holding Apple + Option + P + R keys. Let is beep a couple of times (3 i think) then let go of the keys and let it restart.

OP
James
Reaction score
Ok, back online and back in business...

Everything was working fine until i installed the 10.4.1 update, then all of a sudden it would not boot up anymore and kept telling me to reboot. Holding the Shift key at boot trying for a safe mode would not work. After trying a few of the tricks people mentioned, nada... Kinda figured maybe some third party app was hanging things up, but if you can't boot up you can't get to it to uninstall it. Soooo.

Did a archive and install back to 10.4. It booted up with most everyting in place. Then i did another install of 10.4.1 from a .dmg and it went right in and worked just fine. Added back what i thought was the offending 3rd party app, which was a cursor editor program and it also worked just fine... at a loss to know just what the heck happened the first time.

However, i do find some problems with the 10.4.1 install, or maybe it is because of the archive and install, not sure which. I am finding that i have to reinstall quite a few programs that no longer work. For example:

My virus program won't run
My backup program won't run
Stuffit won't run
Zeno reader would not work
X11 won't run so gimp won't run

By reinstalling i am fixing everything above except the X11. When i try to install it, it refuses to install saying that there is a newer version already installed...but anyway, i am mostly back to where i was...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
James said:
By reinstalling i am fixing everything above except the X11. When i try to install it, it refuses to install saying that there is a newer version already installed...but anyway, i am mostly back to where i was...

Man, I'm having this same problem. Whenever I try to install X11 it says I can't because I already have a newer version, but I don't have any X11 on my computer.

-Chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bassplayrr said:
Man, I'm having this same problem. Whenever I try to install X11 it says I can't because I already have a newer version, but I don't have any X11 on my computer.

-Chris

Found a working solution. James tried it and it installed. Don't use the one from Apple. Go on the Tiger DVD to the Developer tools I believe, and you will find toward the bottom the X11 package. Install that. It worked for James and others.

C

code777

stuffit doesn't work for me. or it works differently now. it doesn't unzip stuff right away. i have to double click the icon to unzip. on my iBook stuffit stopped working after 10.4.1 so i downloaded the newer version of stuffit and now it works but just not the same as it use to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
dtravis7 said:
Found a working solution. James tried it and it installed. Don't use the one from Apple. Go on the Tiger DVD to the Developer tools I believe, and you will find toward the bottom the X11 package. Install that. It worked for James and others.

Great, thanks!

-Chris

OP
James
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:

Problem is it says it installed it, but it still doesn't work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
James said:
Problem is it says it installed it, but it still doesn't work.

What you installed from the XCode Tools is not the full X11 Installer. It's under the Optional Intalls like I had first suggested. You tell it which drive then a choice menu will come up, just check X11. You will notice it takes a lot longer than the one in the XCode Tools to install. After that it will work. I am in Gimp right now in Tiger 10.4.1 with X11. That installer in XCode Tools is some Xcode thing for X11. It does not even install the icon in the utilities folder.

OP
James
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
What you installed from the XCode Tools is not the full X11 Installer. It's under the Optional Intalls like I had first suggested. You tell it which drive then a choice menu will come up, just check X11. You will notice it takes a lot longer than the one in the XCode Tools to install. After that it will work. I am in Gimp right now in Tiger 10.4.1 with X11. That installer in XCode Tools is some Xcode thing for X11. It does not even install the icon in the utilities folder.

Yep, your right it isn't the one in the xcode tools alright, IT IS the one in the "Optional Installs". I am now able to use Gimp again...YAAAA! I had about given up on it. Next time your over i owe you an In and Out Animal Burger....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.