2 Macbooks with different wireless reception

Reaction score
My uncle and I both have a 13 inch macbook pro. Both have the air port extreme wireless card. The problem is that my uncle is able to connect to the internet from his kitchen but I am not. We are both attempting to access the same network from the same location. Any reason that his mbp has better reception than mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
The only reason I can think of is your computer having a faulty card. Does it connect at to the same access point from anywhere within the network's range?

OP
D
Reaction score
I can't get any closer to that particular network. My uncle shares the network with a neighbor and the router is in the neighbor's home. At my house, my mac connects fine to my own network but obviously its very close to my router. I guess I could need a new card. Its really quite strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you tried going in and removing the current settings for his network and then set it up again and retest. Set up a new user on your MBP and log into that and see if there is any issues in that scenario - might tell u where to start looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
If you are able to connect than you do not have a faulty card. I believe its a matter of range. If you cannot get any closer, try getting yourself your own router and "extending" the network. An Airport Express would be the best way to go through, plus it offers a very simple and straightforward GUI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.