iDVD Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Before I ask my question, I would like to just note, that today was the first time I ever opened iDVD (I've only had my iMac for about 1 week)

Anyway, I am trying to make a DVD of my vacation photos, so I created 6 screenshows in iPhoto, edited the photo's, transitions, timing, etc and the screenshows are just the way I want them. I exported them to iDVD and everything works like a champ.

My question is, while I have the 6 "Chapters" up on the main screen (One for each screenshow) I am trying to figure out how to also get a "Play all" where it will go from 1 screenshow directly into the next.

Thanks,
Ray

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I looked through the iDVD help and could not find anything. You try the Apple site.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I spoke to a Mac Genius yesterday about this while I was switching my iMac for a new one. He took a look at my DVD Project and stated that it's a limitation of the iDVD Software.

He told me, instead of having 4 separate video files, create 1 large video file, and then add chapters where I want to split the move. I can then have the "Play All" function, but also have the chapter selection functions that I was looking for.

Thanks,
Ray

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem with that I see is, if you have five chapters and you select say chapter two. You will see chapters two thru five. It will not stop after two finishes.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
The only problem with that I see is, if you have five chapters and you select say chapter two. You will see chapters two thru five. It will not stop after two finishes.

Correct, but that would normally be true with any DVD that I have purchased before.

Thanks,
Ray

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that you were trying to do something along the lins of deleted scenes, or blooper reels. In that you can choose to play all or just play only one. If you setup chapters, you can not play just one chapter. It works along the lines of scene selection in a movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
lets say you finish a project on final cut express can u import that into idvd and make a dvd and all that?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From My understanding, you should be able to import a Final Cut Express movie into iDVD. I believe that you have to create a movie file first. unless there is an export option for iMovie.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
I thought that you were trying to do something along the lins of deleted scenes, or blooper reels. In that you can choose to play all or just play only one. If you setup chapters, you can not play just one chapter. It works along the lines of scene selection in a movie.

Sorry, the way I worded the question was a bit wrong in learning more about iDVD, iMovie, etc.

I had created 6 Screen Shows in iPhoto and exported each one to iDVD individually. So on the main menu when you insert the DVD, I had all 6 screen shows (in Quicktime Movie Format) listed, but no Play all function. It turns out, I set it up wrong for what I was trying to do.

I took the Screen Shows and imported them in iMovie HD to create 1 movie with 6 different chapters. Then i sent that 1 movie to iDVD where it imported the single movie and added a chapter list menu, which is what I was really trying to do in the first place.

So I guess a little reading and experimenting goes along way in this case, but thank you very much for you assistance/input.

Thanks,
Ray

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you figured it out. Sometime it takes a little more time and effort. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.