Shutting Down!

Reaction score
I've got a 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook. I'm running OS10.4.11.
The problem is that when running on battery it shuts down unexpectedly. The battery appears to be well charged in the energy saver prior to shut down - often over 1hr. the batteries own meter shows 3 or 4 lights.
The only way to re-start is with power supply connected.
I've done a HD diagnostic - no problems....

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've got a 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook. I'm running OS10.4.11.
The problem is that when running on battery it shuts down unexpectedly. The battery appears to be well charged in the energy saver prior to shut down - often over 1hr. the batteries own meter shows 3 or 4 lights.
The only way to re-start is with power supply connected.
I've done a HD diagnostic - no problems....

Any ideas?

This could simply be a matter of the battery is old & needs to be replaced. The 1.42ghz G4 iBook was first released in July, 2005...so if your iBook's battery is the original one...it could be around 4.5 years old...which is pretty old for a laptop battery.

You could also try this:

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Finally...don't really pay much attention to those "lights" on the battery. As a battery gets older, it's total runtime in minutes (from 100% charge to 0% charge) gets less and less.

So when your battery was brand new...4-5 lights on your battery may have meant up to 5 hours of total runtime...but after your battery is 4.5 years old...4-5 lights on the battery may only mean 1 hour or less total runtime. So don't really put much importance on the number of lights your battery has on it.

Good luck...let is know how things work out,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yep, Battery is getting old... But assuming it's showing about 1hr. then shuts down completely after 3-5 mins - no sleep. Then on restarting after plugging in, it continues to show approx 1 hr.
Should I just assume a new battery will fix this, or are there other problems I should look to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I would say this is one of those times that it should be safe to assume;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.