time machine with SL

Reaction score
Since I installed snow leopard in my macbook pro, time machine doesn't work anymore (was fine with 10.5). It backs up a small amount of data then hangs. Anyone had the same problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. What you need to do is go to menu bar icon for TM and select 'Enter Time Machine' and it should ask you how you want to proceed with current 'Sparse Bundle' that is on back up disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Problem is we need a bit more info - the HD that has back up files, how is it connected. USB, Firewire, LAN, IP. Can u select HD in Sys Prefs/Time Machine?
Here is mine when i made some changes;

Click for full size

C

chas_m

I have two solutions for you. Both will work. One is simple, the other is less so.

1. Use Disk Utility to totally erase the TM drive. I personally prefer to do a "zero out" option even though this takes more time because it also maps any "bad blocks" your drive might have. Then reconnect the drive. TM will pop up and treat it like a new drive, asking if you want to use it for backup. Yes. It will make an all-new backup and resume its normal operation after that. Simple.

2. There's a great free third-party tool called TM Error Logger that will show you exactly what file TM is hanging on and allow you to trash it (presuming it's not necessary, and it generally doesn't seem to be). TM has one big flaw in that any one corrupt or damaged file (out of the hundreds of thousands its backing up) will bring the whole operation to a complete halt. TM Error Logger can fix that and allow you to carry on, but its a bit more work than option 1 above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And make sure you havnt got FileVault switched on either. Cant stress this enough with TM. I found out the hard way

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.