1st Generation Touch stuck in recovery mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Hey guys. My friend gave me his 1st generation iPod touch to see if I could fix it. It is NOT jailbroken, but it is stuck in the recovery mode loop. When you turn it on, it shows the USB cable pointing to the iTunes icon.

When i plug the iPod into my computer, iTunes recognizes it and says that it is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. So i hit the restore and update button, but it doesn't restore and gives me error messages (1611, etc).

What can I do to get my iPod out of restore mode? Since I can't turn it on, I don't know what firmware version I have. I have tried hard resets and such with the power and home buttons, but these have been unsuccessful.

I've heard that if i tried to Jailbrake my iPod, it might kick itself out of recovery mode, but I can't Jailbrake it unless I know the firmware version, which I don't. HELP! Any ideas? :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
. . . and did you manage to sort it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.