Mac Pro doesn't turn on

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

First of all, sorry for my English.

Well, I've already searched for this topic, trying to find the solution for myself but... sometimes my Mac doesn't turn on.

I have a Mac Pro Intel Zeon Dual Quad, 4Gb RAM, GeForce 8800GT 512Mb, bought in August 2008.

When everything runs OK and the machine turns on, that's what I hear:
1) "click"
2) fan (I don't know how it is called in English) spins
3) a "puff" from my display (a similar sound occurs, for example, if you touch your TV so that static is discharged), which seems to mean "hey, I'm connected to your Mac, let's go!"
4) the well-known "paaaam"

But frequently, I only hear "click" and... Well, Mac doesn't turn on. Even the fan doesn't spin. When this occurs, I turn off the surge-protector in which the energy cables from my Mac and my display are connected and try again, say, 30 minutes later. This problem occurs even with the energy cables connected on wall sockets.

Last year, in November, as my machine stopped turning on, I took it (to the store in which I had bought it) for technical assistance. No problem was found. They simply cleaned the dust on it.

Back to home, Mac seemed to be fixed, but one month later, the issue reappeared. Recently I opened it and cleaned the dust. For 4 days, Mac turned on just fine, but then again...

During my research, I've noticed that many Mac users have problems in turning on their machines, but I have never found an answer. Another problem shared with those users is that this issue is kind of "inconsistent": sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. So people took their Macs and, when tested by the assistance service, machines work just fine. =/

Does anyone knows why my Mac Pro has this problem? It's driving me nuts! Is it really dust? A contact problem with the power button? How can I clean the back of the power button?

I've read somewhere that maybe this problem is caused by a misfunction of a device of the logic card. Is it true? Can I replace only this device, because the logic card is kind of expensive?

Well, that's all.

Thank you everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unplug your Mac Pro, and remove the surge protector. Plug in after ten minutes and see if the machine will boot. Surge protectors sometimes are not all they are cracked up to be. Keep us posted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.