A couple questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Trying to learn my new mac. I have always used PC but got sick of how annoying it was, and I am loving my new 27'' iMac. But not really sure where all my stuff is at I guess would be my question. When I go to finder, there is Devices and Places, whats the difference? and they have some of the same stuff like under devices is Mac HD and I can get to the same stuff I can get to on my profile thru library and all that stuff, so why 2? They all go to the same place? Thanks for any help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They're called shortcuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
They're called shortcuts.
This exactly; it's just about convenience.

But to elaborate a bit, Devices is devoted to physical hardware devices, like hard disks, disk partitions, and optical discs. Places, on the other hand, is devoted to specific folders and files stored on those physical devices. It's similar to a shopping mall (or any other building) with multiple entrances: sure, you can get to any store within the mall from any outside entrance, but you might as well park closest to the main store you plan on entering to save a few steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Also, in the "Places" section, you can just drag and drop folders into the sidebar there, for quicker and easier access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.