• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Magic Mouse Blamed for Draining Bluetooth Keyboard Batteries

Reaction score
Over the weekend, TUAW pointed to a growing chorus of complaints in Apple's discussion forums from users who have seen poor battery life from their Apple wireless keyboards after moving to the company's new Magic Mouse, which began shipping in late October. According to the reports, some users are finding that their wireless keyboards are running through batteries on a nearly-weekly basis since switching to the Magic Mouse, although an exact cause of the problem has not yet been determined.
The issue, which was noted early last month by MacNN, has begun receiving more attention as it continues to be unresolved. The complaints appear to be coming from users of Apple's older, three-battery aluminum wireless keyboard, which was replaced with a new, two-battery version that initially shipped with Apple's new iMacs released in October and also made available for individual sale. Few, if any, reports have come from users of the new keyboard model, although it is unclear if the new model is unaffected or if there is simply a larger sample of users of the older model who would be more likely to notice a change in battery performance than recent purchasers of the new model.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm... no problems here. And I have the older keyboard with the Magic Mouse. Use it daily, 8 hours a day and haven't had to change batteries in either since I got the MM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My wireless keyboard it the Polycarbonate unit and both that and the Magic Mouse operate as the Mighty Mouse did before it. Magic Mouse stays on 24/7 and needs recharged batteries every 2-3 weeks

Reaction score
I've had mine for a good few months now and had no problems.

Batteries died in my mouse long before the keyboard.

Had about 4 months and still about 40% battery life left on keyboard.

C

chas_m

Attention readers of this thread:

Apple today issued a firmware update for their aluminum BT keyboards. From the press release:

This firmware update improves battery performance of the 2007 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard when used in combination with other bluetooth devices (eg. Magic Mouse, some bluetooth headsets) and addresses an issue with the 2007 aluminum Apple Keyboard and the 2007 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard where a key may repeat unexpectedly while typing.

Should be available via Software Update now or shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I have the older Bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse. So does my wife. We're doing fine, no battery problems here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Attention readers of this thread:

Apple today issued a firmware update for their aluminum BT keyboards. From the press release:

Should be available via Software Update now or shortly.

That explains it then. My Alu BT keyboard is a 2008 model. It sounds like it's limited to those produced in 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac intel core duo 2 GHz 160GB HDD
What is the estimated battery life for the Ally BT keyboards. i bought it from pc world just after christmas and i got the magic mouse around the same time. I've had to change the batteries about 4 times since i got it but I'm still on the same batt's for the mouse it's at about 36% now. Is this good?
Cheers.

Lex

Reaction score
No issues with those here. Never had to recharge them for over 2 months.

-Lex

Reaction score
I noted that the local Best Buy in my town is having some issues with keyboards draining out. And someone *possibly* stole the display Magic Mouse's from the store on Saturday. The iMac's on display were pretty much useless. I went over to a MacBook Pro 15"...instant one night-stand love affair- I know I'll never get one anytime soon!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.