Upcoming Mac Pro vs iMac i7

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently I have an 08 black macbook and I’m looking for a great upgrade. I am deciding between the upcoming Mac Pro(6 core processors) or the current iMac.

I use my computer for various tasks and I need a more powerful computer to do things such as gaming, photoshop, video editing and programming. The iMac will be $2080 with student discount and the Mac Pro $2300. The difference between these prices to me doesn’t matter, I’d just like to mention the configuration.​

I like the iMac because of its unique design and great 27” screen. However I wouldn’t enjoy waiting 3 weeks for my shipment, the screens are messed up, and the mac buyers guide says its in neutral cycle. I have also heard rumors that there will be a touchscreen iMac soon, this greatly confuses me because I need a computer now but if I buy the iMac now and there is a new one in a couple of months I will be disappointed.​

The upcoming Mac Pro on the other hand is appealing due to the amazing power of it. I already have a two 22” monitors I could use with this, even though they don’t look as cool as the Apples(I won’t pay $800 for a 24”). Another point for this is when it launches it will be brand new and I won’t be anxious in waiting for a new one. I won’t need the expansion however it is a nice thing.​

If you have read all of this, I thank you and respect your opinion very much.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off you're comparing a rumor with an existing machine.
Not all that great a thing to do related to Apple.
Anything related to when and what the configuration of the next Mac Pro is pure speculation.

Highly unlikely there will be any upgrade of the iMac in the next couple of months.

If you need a new computer now, buy one now. It will still be the same machine and perform the same functions as the day you bought it when a new one comes out.

OP
N
Reaction score

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Like I said, if you need a computer now, buy now. If you don't need one now, wait to buy until you do.

There has been the next new thing for the past 30 years related to computers and there will be the next new thing coming for the foreseeable future.

At least today, it's nearly impossible to buy a computer that won't run that new piece of software you just bought in less than 12 months time. Any mid-range or above computer should give you several years of useful lifetime today.

OP
N
Reaction score
Like I said, if you need a computer now, buy now. If you don't need one now, wait to buy until you do.

There has been the next new thing for the past 30 years related to computers and there will be the next new thing coming for the foreseeable future.

At least today, it's nearly impossible to buy a computer that won't run that new piece of software you just bought in less than 12 months time. Any mid-range or above computer should give you several years of useful lifetime today.

I see your point man and that’s what I was thinking before but this is guessing that the Mac Pro is to be released very soon as in possibly Wednesday. Im just saying overall as a computer which is better for me to buy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt, I would wait until after the 27th just to see what it is they're announcing.

Me personally?... already have two 22" widescreen monitors, basically the same money for the iMac and Mac Pro... I'd be going for the Mac Pro, especially if they do put the 6 core chip in it at that price point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.