Macbook Power Adaptor Alternatives

Reaction score
Just today, the power adapter (60W MagSafe Power Adapter) for my 13" Steel Macbook broke(-ish).

While this in itself is not a major problem as my macbook is just over a year old and still within its warranty which will cover the extortionate cost for replacement, after reading the reviews on the website, I'm now questioning if it is worth buying a new one and just make do with the broken and extremely temperamental one i have.

Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available, or am I going to be forced to buy a replacement MagSafe one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Mag-safe adaptor I think you mean - I imagine there are other products out there but I wouldn't let one go near my MBP. My first mag-safe charger lead began to bare the wires after about a year. I took it back to the shop, showed them it and they replaced it straight away. From my experience, some are fantastic and the others break. My second one seems to be the former of those two.

I suggest going for another one and seeing how that goes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If it's within warranty which will cover the replacement why are you worried about the cost? Surely it's a no-brainer?

OP
C
Reaction score
How did it "break?"

I have no idea...

If it's within warranty which will cover the replacement why are you worried about the cost? Surely it's a no-brainer?

It was never the cost that bothered me (well -ish, it's still too expensive), but after reading all the terrible reviews, I didn't want to replace it with the same one, only for it to break again in another year, by which time my warranty will have run out. I've settled for sending off for a replacement, I just hope it lasts longer...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think people are generally rough with power supplies, which is a big part of the low rankings for the power adapters. I've owned four of them so far and only had one fail - and that one was the original one that came with my '06 MacBook Pro - and it wasn't the cables that were damaged or anything, it just stopped charging one day (still provided AC power).

I think if you follow the guidelines set forth by Apple in the link I posted previously, you'll be fine with your replacement. But if you drag the supply around by its cable or wind the cord too tight, you'll have problems.

Reaction score
>>Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available,<<<

I use the MBP in four different locations. It is moved between these locations daily. If this doesn't wear out any single adapter, then I don't know what will.

I need at least three additional units to leave on site at the remote locations. That's one heck of a good reason to own less expensive adapters. So, for me, this question remains unanswered.

What is a reasonably reliable non-OEM replacement for the MagSafe units?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

In the 4.5+ years that has gone by since this thread was last active (yes this is an older thread)…not much has changed. Apple OEM is still probably the best source for a replacement power adapter.

Alternative power adapters probably won't be any more durable…and the insides/innards of of a non-Apple power adapter may not be of the best quality. Then the main issue may not be durability…but safety.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I bought extra adapters for both MBP and MBA, plus an aeroplane adapter, when I ordered the laptops, and in four years and more than a fair amount of travel, haven't experienced a single problem. In fact, this is the first time I heard of the matter.

When I go overseas, for an extended period of time, and expect to be moving MBP between office and residence, I take both MBP adapters, for shorter trips - just one. All four adapters are in constant use.

Frankly, I never even looked at any "aftermarket" chargers - to anyone, still considering such a contraption - look up stories about people, electrocuted by cheap (as in fake) iPhone adapters ...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anything you see aftermarket is technically a grey market item and is best avoided. For better or worse, Apple has the MagSafe connector heavily patented and they rigorously enforce those patents. This has caused a lot of pain for third parties, especially those making battery packs and such.

So, in short - the answer to this thread remains the same as it always was.... buy original OEM Apple MagSafe adapters. If you need a bit of a discount, you might check out refurbished units at OWC.

C

chas_m

And to add to this (I know) old discussion: the reason Apple's chargers are expensive is because they are SAFE. Take one apart and then take apart one of the Chinese-made knock-off chargers and -- well, let's just say you don't have to be an electrical engineer to notice what's missing in the knock off: LOTS of safety design and engineering.

Stay safe and buy the Apple charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
>>Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available,<<<

I use the MBP in four different locations. It is moved between these locations daily. If this doesn't wear out any single adapter, then I don't know what will.

I need at least three additional units to leave on site at the remote locations. That's one heck of a good reason to own less expensive adapters. So, for me, this question remains unanswered.

Thanks

I've been doing this since 2008, with the same MagSafe adapter. (Still using the 85w that my 2008 mbp came with, daily)

C

chas_m

I'm still using the adapter my 2009 came with for travel, but I bought a second one for home use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.