Online Mac backup suggestions

Reaction score
Looking to sign up w/ a backup service b/c I'm to lazy to do it myself consistently. Anyone know of which are the best and which to stay away from?

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this review from PC Magazine: LINK

MacWorld magazine also recently ran a review article regarding on line backup services. You might get on their site and do some searching.

Having said the above.... What's wrong with hooking up an external hard drive to your Mac and have Time Machine set to do automatic backups. You don't have to do anything after initially setting it up. It's completely transparent.

Doesn't get any easier - and - it's a lot faster than the best on line service.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thx. It's a thought. I also like the idea of just doing nothing and it's done automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To the OP ..... take a step back and consider the following ....

Your backups need to be stored somewhere safe and you need to be able to access them whenever you need them.
These 2 requirements need to be under your control at all times.

I would not recommend storing any backups in a hosted environment only accessible via the internet.

My 2 ( euro ) cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
Backups should be redundant in nature. Anyone that is truly concerned about losing their data should have both a local backup and an offsite backup. If you aren't concerned about losing your data I would say it pretty much doesn't matter which way you choose as either is going to be effective the overwhelming majority of the time. Local disks are probably more likely to fail but that would need to be proven over time, i.e., I've had a USB drive go bad and become basically unrecoverable but I've never heard of anyone not being able to get their data from an online backup service. That could all change tomorrow if one of them goes bankrupt. I personally use Time Machine to back up to a local USB disk and an online backup service because my data is important and a loss would be very harmful in a financial sense. My research lead me to CrashPlan for an online service but there were plenty that were so close so I would suggest you do your own research and compare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I am all about redundant but no thanx on the on line backup . I have TM on one ex hdd , Carbon Copy on another and My buddy and I each keep a Carbon Copy of the others machine at our respective homes ( ya we trust one another ) So its off site and the odds of both of our homes getting destroyed are pretty slim !

Just my thoughts
Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.