I just can't decide. Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm pretty much dying to get a mac right now. I know that the Macbook Pro is about to be upgraded and all, but the Macbook won't be upgraded for awhile. It's really hard for me to choose...

I want whatever is the better value.
Value for me.

Take into consideration I'd be buying the lowest end Pro and Macbook.

My general computing usually just consists of internet use and chatting with friends. The hardest computing I ever do is video editing (not HD, just standard flip video clips I make with friends or for school) and World of Warcraft. I want a mac which can handle both these like a champ when it needs to. Nothing more intense than that.

I want a computer that feels nice to use. I have a huge hate for stainless steel. The feel of it is just... weird. I honestly love plastic, but I've heard it gets dirty quickly and scratches. I know I prefer the plastic look, but the durability of the aluminum is making me think again.

I want something that will run my browser and AIM super quick. I just want my programs to open quickly and not lag or fail.

The only ports I'll ever be needing are a USB and CD drive.

Okay, so in a nutshell: I want a computer that will never fail me on my basic tasks like the internet or AIM, but can also edit simple Flip videos and play World of Warcraft great. I want a computer that's comfortable and simple. That's all I want.

Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
If you're going for the low-end, you get more for your money with the MacBook. I've been very happy with mine so far. I mostly e-mail, internet and some spreadsheets and word-processing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
After comparing the MacBook & lesser of the two 13" MacBook Pro's on the Apple site, the only things you gain w/MBP are a Firewire port & the backlit keyboard. And a heftier pricetag. I was faced w/the same decision a week ago & went w/MacBook, and am totally & completely satisfied.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm still having crazy trouble deciding...
My only fear is that I won't like the plastic and that I'll want the aluminum.
):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
you could always go for the refurb 13" mbp. they're under 1,000. I was contemplating this myself, but I've decided to go for the MBP

Reaction score
If you transfer pictures and vids using your memory card you cant do that on the macbook, it doesnt have an SD slot. I would have chosen the macbook if it wasnt for that. If that's not a problem, and you were going to spend the extra money on the MBP, Id upgrade the macbook until it matches that price.And dont forget the education or gov. worker discount if you apply to either.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm still having crazy trouble deciding...
My only fear is that I won't like the plastic and that I'll want the aluminum.
):

The aluminum is just as easily scratched as the plastic. You need to invest in some kind of case if you don't want that to happen. Plus it's easier to clean as well.

Have you gone to the apple store to look at them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power G4/ MacBook Intel 1.83 GHz/ MacBook 2008 2.4 GHz Unibody / MBPro 2.53 GHz/ Iphone 3GS
After comparing the MacBook & lesser of the two 13" MacBook Pro's on the Apple site, the only things you gain w/MBP are a Firewire port & the backlit keyboard. And a heftier pricetag. I was faced w/the same decision a week ago & went w/MacBook, and am totally & completely satisfied.

I think you forgot to mention the increased Processor speed, the RAM capability, as well as the 2 Graphics Cards, Glass overlay screen, increased LCD resolution........., the point I am trying to make is they are not compared so easily cosmetically as you suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power G4/ MacBook Intel 1.83 GHz/ MacBook 2008 2.4 GHz Unibody / MBPro 2.53 GHz/ Iphone 3GS
My suggestion if you are looking for a Serious Gaming Experience especially for WOW, (I might add I am a recovering from this addiction) is go with the MBP 15' 2.53 it is exactly what you need, The graphics cards NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is amazing and with 4 gigs of RAM, and a processor speed of 2.53 GHz it would be a ultimate Gaming machine. The MacBook(white) would be slow and the graphics would be less picturesque because of the LCD screen being completely different. But some plus points is the MacBook is durable and the hardware can be repaired easily. Take my advice dude, and get the MBP especially if you are logging some serious hours in the realm. If you got any other questions hit me up.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My suggestion if you are looking for a Serious Gaming Experience especially for WOW, (I might add I am a recovering from this addiction) is go with the MBP 15' 2.53 it is exactly what you need, The graphics cards NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is amazing and with 4 gigs of RAM, and a processor speed of 2.53 GHz it would be a ultimate Gaming machine. The MacBook(white) would be slow and the graphics would be less picturesque because of the LCD screen being completely different. But some plus points is the MacBook is durable and the hardware can be repaired easily. Take my advice dude, and get the MBP especially if you are logging some serious hours in the realm. If you got any other questions hit me up.

No..for serious gaming you would get a dedicated graphics card. Which the lower end models don't have.

I think you forgot to mention the increased Processor speed, the RAM capability, as well as the 2 Graphics Cards, Glass overlay screen, increased LCD resolution........., the point I am trying to make is they are not compared so easily cosmetically as you suggested.

The lower end models have the same graphic cards. The screen quality is better on the MBP.

Reaction score
I think the only thing you will miss is the back lit keyboard. I have the newest macbook and that is all i miss.

Reaction score
The Macbook is about to be upgraded? I would be ****** if they change it too much, cause I just got mine 4 days ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.