HELP!: Time Capsule as a router with Mac and Windows

Reaction score
Well, I've just bought a Apple Time Capsule 2TB because I needed some extra storage and my previous router(a Dlink) didn't work too well with my Mac. The

Setting up the Time Capsule was easy. I now got it up and running with my Mac, but connecting it to my Windows computer is a different story. I just won't connect! :S I've innstalled the thing on the CD that came along, but it isn't working anyway.

My Time capsule settings:
It's protected with a WPA2 Personal key.
Radio Mode: Automatic (Whatever that is)
Guest Network is disabled(though I've tried to activate it and connect my Windows XP machine to it), aswell is my MAC address access control (dont't know what that is either).
Wireless mode is set to: Create a wireless network.
Connect using: Ethernet (thats from my TC to my other thing that's connected in the wall. Excuse my lack of english words..)
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
Rest of it is all automatic.

Help me configure it right so I can use it with my Windows computers aswell! :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't know if this will matter or not but which version of Windows are you using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you broadcasting the SSID (network name) from the TC, and if so, can the Windows XP machine see it?

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry for missing that XP thing in your first post. The Time Capsule should work with XP. My XP Boot Camp partition saw it no problem the last time i booted into it. I think there was an update for the software when I set mine up. You might also want to check out Use Apple's Time Capsule with your Windows PC. Take a look at the suggestion under the heading Time Capsule Support Options.

I also saw a post from one user suggesting that the Windows XP hotfix that corrects WPA2 issues for wireless networks helped him. That might not be your problem though since that file dates to 2005.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.