G5 Dual 1.8 desktop seems Slower than my single G5

D

darque

I am shocked that my dual g5 1.8 (leopard) w/ 4gigs ram seems to react slower than my similar g5 single processor (tiger) w same amount of ram.

Is this something anyone has heard of before?
simple opening of applications, going online, and or doing basic day to day operations seems to make the dual hesitate a bit, just kinda missing that sharp snap my single g5 processor has . I use photoshop daily and I believe the dual machine might be a bit faster than i know of at that type of processing; thats great!

but what would make the dual act a bit...stoned?

what are the general feelings regarding this matter? is there a speed test i can do? or/??

thank u

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
what are the general feelings regarding this matter? is there a speed test i can do? or/??

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Just because one computer "seems" slower...doesn't mean it actually is. Computer speed can be very subjective.

- Do both computers have similar hard drives. Hard drive performance...especially when launching applications & saving files can make a big difference.
- Video hardware can make a difference.
- You're running two different OS versions on these two computers, and OS 10.5 "Leopard" is more demanding than OS 10.4 "Tiger".
- Finally, there are some "optimizing" steps that can speed things up...such as repairing permissions...and if the hard drive on the dual processor G5 is really full (greater than 75%) that can slow things down.

In any case...here's a benchmarking program to test both computers:

Xbench: Comprehensive Macintosh Benchmarking

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
D

darque

thanks nick...
10.5 is more demanding obviously, but i bought this dual g5 used for way cheap and i wanted to know if machine or software is issue? if its a leopard thing then i ll just stick w tiger...
I am running one test now. will keep posted...

gotta love the internet

OP
D

darque

tests completed

i did both my computers and my single processor scored a 69.78 (ish)

and my dual scored a 54.76 (ish) cant quite remember exact number

here is the link to the single processor test... beat the pants of similar machine...this little g5 is a greyhound...Why? what is alt vec basic ? cause my machine has that on crack!

Xbench: Comparison

ill post the dual in a bit! i guess if i went back to tiger on the dual it would screeeem>??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
But how did u get your info across from Tiger to Leopard and have you done any maintenance since you have been running Leopard. Might be worthwhile to try Onyx and give it a bit of a sweep out.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582/onyx

OP
D

darque

dual machine score

Xbench: Comparison

the second test it did better ????? wtheck? 68.12 see the above comparison.

again there seems to be a couple areas where this dual machine rocks but some areas where it needs speed or help making faster? i was going to be lost but the last individual suggested onyx? ill look for it and try...

thanks for all your help guys... if you could check the links ?and maybe if you have time suggest areas that need love

OP
D

darque

How to do this ~theoretical

But how did u get your info across from Tiger to Leopard and have you done any maintenance since you have been running Leopard. Might be worthwhile to try Onyx and give it a bit of a sweep out.

assuming i understand the software i would save my machine (a, with a unique name) and machine b ~the baseline machine for comparison.
I did not do this...

the website xbench.com has a bunch of saved profiles. i assume i can find own teat results if spend time searching for it...

but it still is not quite exact! its only a guide...

i will try this when i can

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My assumption is that if Migration Assistant is used then an amount of extraneous User Data is also imported viz Tiger files/caches which are replaced by Leopard ones and if there is a conflict < esp 3rd party apps > then the OS has to resolve it before carrying out the instruction.
Others ending up here please correct me if i have it wrong.

OP
D

darque

Ummmm... What...?!?

...Migration Assistant...WHAT IS MA?...Datafiles/caches ...a conflict < esp 3rd party apps > then the OS has to resolve it before carrying out the instruction.

UMMMM? What are we talking about exactly ? I think i just geeked my self out? I am now officially lost. hehehehe

but i downloaded onyx, (SWEET THANKS) "housecleaning" as we speak. I noticed my dual running 10.5 would error out always using the repair permissions in osx's disk utility; but the onyx made some corrections w/o errors .... NICEEE

OP
D

darque

Onyx cleaned up the dual beautifully

thanks for the speed test link and the cleaner link... I have finished running both and that "original~ fast snap to my requests" seems to be much much better... the pot is wearing off my machine, beautiful guys thanks a million...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am shocked that my dual g5 1.8 (leopard) w/ 4gigs ram seems to react slower than my similar g5 single processor (tiger) w same amount of ram.

Is the single processor G5 an iMac or a G5 Tower (it wasn't 100% clear in your original post)...just curious?

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
both are towers. Both are smoother than ever. me happy !

You said earlier that both towers were scoring in the upper 60's on Xbench...are they scoring any better now...since you said they're running smoother than ever?

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.