MBP won't boot (not even from CD)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a major problem with my first Generation MacBook Pro. It won't boot anymore: it just turns on and gets stuck at the Apple logo. There is no spinning wheel and nothing else happens. Pressing 'C' for booting from CD or pressing ALT and choosing the CD as an alternative boot source does not work either: it just does exactly the same, gets stuck at the apple logo. I already tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, as well as the SMC. This also did not change anything. CMD+V mode starts up then stops at the line "ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)". CMD+S mode gives the same result and safe mode does not seem to work either :(

What can I do? I really need to save my Mac, there is some really important stuff on there

see you, chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
do you have access to another mac that you can try to boot from in target mode?

OP
Reaction score
Hi, I just tried that and the target disc mode does work (a miracle considering that anything else fails). thanks for the tip, my data is saved :)

now: anyone got an idea for saving the MacBook Pro itself? with everything (except target disc mode) failing, is there even a way to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That was already a long shot from me for tonight (Australia time zone).....Sat night and had a few drinks, so no suggestions from me until tomorrow, but I'm sure that someone will come through before then ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you are still running 10.4, have you tried booting from your original tiger install disc to run the Apple hardware test, or booting in safe mode (holding shift key)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never tried it, but you may be able to run a hardware test in Target Disk Mode if you can't get the disc going in your MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.