Saving with "read & write" privileges for "everyone"

Reaction score
After sleepless nights I managed to make my Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.5.8) to communicate (meaning sharing assigned folders with full “read & write” privileges) with my PC (Windows 7 Ultimate).
However, there is one thing where I got stuck: When creating a new file the Mac automatically assigns the following “read & write” privileges to that file:
For “me”: read & write
For “staff”: read only
For “everyone”: read only

Therefore, when I save a new file in the Mac folder I assigned to be shared with the PC I can only read it from the PC, I cannot modify it. (From the Mac point of view the PC is “everyone”.) I can change afterwards the “read & write” privileges, but this means manually doing it after saving the file and it’s cumbersome. I can assign the whole shared folder to be “read & write” but this applies only retroactively; the new files still come into that folder with “read only” privileges for “everyone”.
I would like to be able to save a newly created document directly with “read & write” privileges for “staff” and (especially) “everyone” as well. Can anybody help me with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There doesn't appear to be a way to do what you like, or at least no simple way, except perhaps with the server version of Mac OS X. It may be possible to create a script that will change the permissions as new items are added and use it as a "Folder Actions" script. But really, that is far more tedious than is necessary. I'm guessing you are signing in to your Mac from Windows as a Guest. You'd be better off signing in with your Mac's user name/password.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can try creating a .bashrc file and place this one line in the file

umask 000

use the terminal application to open a unix window to create this file

Reaction score
Scripts

There doesn't appear to be a way to do what you like, or at least no simple way, except perhaps with the server version of Mac OS X. It may be possible to create a script that will change the permissions as new items are added and use it as a "Folder Actions" script. But really, that is far more tedious than is necessary. I'm guessing you are signing in to your Mac from Windows as a Guest. You'd be better off signing in with your Mac's user name/password.

Actually, I'm running a system where there's about 20 editors saving files to a central server. There's one main folder that is set to Everybody "R&W." However, once a new folder/project is added, only that user has rw access, but everybody is set to just read. I need something like that: a "Folder Actions" script so it can just automatically happen instead of me having to do it with an administrator account every time. Could you help me out and let me know how to go about that, or at least where I could go that would tell me how to do this? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I should also mention that there is an administrator account on each computer, but I'm trying to do this from accounts without administrator privileges.

Reaction score
Any solution? Same exact problem... really frustrating!

Any solution? Same exact problem... really frustrating!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.