touch 2nd Gen No sound or volume indicator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I bought a refurbished 2nd generation touch 2 months ago. It keeps losing the sound. I can't adjust the volume when this happens.

So a song won't have the slide bar on the bottom to control the sound. Also, the volume control on the side doesn't respond. This happens with music, podcasts and games.

I use it a lot with an iHome iH16G. I don't think its related and I didn't find any problems with the model.

If I restore it, then it works. I have had to restore it twice today. I have restored from backup and as a new ipod. Neither has helped.

Any ideas? Or is it time to call Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
you have already tried everything i can think of so...Give apple a call.

Clay

Reaction score
This used to happen to me. Just restart the ipod by holding down the bottom (home) button, and top button. It's happened twice in 4 months. it shouldn't happen at all, but if I reset it, and it fixes things. You will not have to restore anything, it is like hitting the reset button on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This used to happen to me. Just restart the ipod by holding down the bottom (home) button, and top button. It's happened twice in 4 months. it shouldn't happen at all, but if I reset it, and it fixes things. You will not have to restore anything, it is like hitting the reset button on a computer.

if doing a full restore as a new device doesn't fix that problem then a hard boot isn't going to. Sounds like more then a bandaid is needed.

Clay

Reaction score
if doing a full restore as a new device doesn't fix that problem then a hard boot isn't going to. Sounds like more then a bandaid is needed.

Clay

I did a full restore when my sound stopped working, and it didn't fix it but the restart did fix it. I do not know why one worked and not the other, but then again, I don't know why the sound just stops working. There is no harm in trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a fine point. It is strange that a boot works but restore doesn't but hey as long as it worked who cares right ?

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.