G5 won't start if warm

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 GHz G5 iMac running 10.4.11. If I shut it down I can't reboot for about 20 minutes. Also, I have an external Lacie Hard drive and usually the iMac won't start up if the hard drive is connected. I have checked for new LaCie drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hertz33

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to the Forums!

My initial thought about the first issue is a faulty heat sensor/thermostat. Do you notice the fan operating at unusually high speed when you've been using your iMac for, say, 30 minutes or more?

I've seen several (or more) posts on problems with LaCie external drives. I can't remember precisely which brand of drive is inside the enclosure, but I know some users have pulled the drive out and ditched the enclosure in favour of a different one. Do LaCie drives require drivers? I thought OS X simply recognised external devices natively - providing they're the right format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just as an aside - had a G3 iMac that would do that and while inside replacing HD noticed Heat Sink had a broken clip so was hanging by one clip so effectively no heat sink. Might be worth a peak inside if all else fails.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 1.6 GHz G5 iMac running 10.4.11. If I shut it down I can't reboot for about 20 minutes. Also, I have an external Lacie Hard drive and usually the iMac won't start up if the hard drive is connected. I have checked for new LaCie drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hertz33

You could also remove the side panel from your G5...and see if everything is clogged up with dirt & fuzz. If so give it a good cleaning to restore proper air-flow.

Check the cooling fins of the heat sinks...and all of the fans.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Side panel on an iMac? Are you sure Nick?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Side panel on an iMac? Are you sure Nick?

Ughh...I gotta stop taking/smoking the drugs!!!;) I saw G5 in the title, and right away I was thinking G5 Towers!

Kinda funny though if you think about it...someone with an iMac G5 out there searching for this mysterious side panel to remove so they can clean out the innards! ;);)

Thanks for catching that mistake Harry!..."hertz33" please ignore my post above!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got the original System Install discs? Pop in disc one and boot, then run Apple Hardware Test in the extended mode and see what is reported. And disconnect that Lacie as hughvane suggests.

Does the Lacie connect to mains power and if so use a different power point.

Reaction score
Ughh...I gotta stop taking/smoking the drugs!!!;) I saw G5 in the title, and right away I was thinking G5 Towers!

Kinda funny though if you think about it...someone with an iMac G5 out there searching for this mysterious side panel to remove so they can clean out the innards! ;);)

Thanks for catching that mistake Harry!..."hertz33" please ignore my post above!:)

- Nick

Something like this happened to me not so long ago..I took my wippen...But the innards of the Imac could be clogged up.:eek:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something like this happened to me not so long ago..I took my wippen...But the innards of the Imac could be clogged up.:eek:

Very true! I purchased a used iMac G5 recently...and it had a fair amount of "fuzz" in it!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.