Techtool and eDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Alright i have the latest version of Techtool 4.6.2, and something has always made me wonder, what is the eDrive, and what does it do? Whenever I use iPartition, there is always this part of the hard drive that i can't delete or cut into. I'm currently scrounging for space on my hard drive, and i won't be installing a new one for a couple months, unless I absolutely need to. So what's its point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
e is for Emergency

...as in Emergency startup partition. It has TTP on it, and a basic Mac OS system as well.

That's it in a nutshell. Didn't you get a printed manual with TTP? Otherwise, you can just open TTP and go to the TTP Help file and read about it.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is TTP? Never heard of it, i never got a manual even mentioning it. How do i access it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TTP is TechTool Pro. It is the full version. Maybe I didn't read carefully before. Do you just have TechTool, which came loaded on the Mac? The version number you gave is the same as my TTP. But TT doesn't have eDrive capability. You need TTP for that.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O yea i'm sorry, i do have TTP because i do have the function to add or remove the edrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, with that established...

There are certain functions of TTP that cannot be executed on the drive you are booted on. The eDrive allows you to use it as the boot volume so that these functions can be carried out on your hard drive.

Does that make sense?

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that's neat, I never knew that. Now what kind of applications does this eDrive have on it? Are they the TTP tools? And how can I access the eDrive if i would ever need to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you create the eDrive, TTP puts itself on there (a copy remains on your hard drive) and a basic OS including Terminal, Finder, and I forget what other things are in the Dock. To access it, you have to boot up normally and then open TTP from your hard drive. Then you go into Tools > eDrive and click eDrive Restart. Now you can optimize your hard drive, wipe the free space (don't wipe the entire drive!) and probably a few other things that you could not do when booted to your hard drive. Just follow the instructions in TTP Help or the printed manual on creating the eDrive.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a bunch, i'm going to give that a shot, and see how it works!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.