iPhone 3G S replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I've had my iPhone 3G S for about four and a half months, on the O2 UK network. Last week I noticed that the microphone was acting up - I first realised when I recorded a video clip and during playback there was no audio at all. In the couple of days that followed whenever I took/made a call the person I was speaking to either couldn't hear me at all or reported the sound to be very faint. I spoke to both Apple and O2 about this, and eventually took the phone to the Apple Store so they could look at it. The first guy I spoke to told me that it had been water damaged and that the water sensor had been activated. He also said that they cannot replace the microphone component of an iPhone and that my only option was to replace the entire handset, at the cost of £139. I went away feeling disappointed, to say the least, as the phone had simply been working one day and faulty the next. I certainly hadn't dropped it in water or spilled anything over it.

After trying to explain a few more times over the phone, both to O2 and Apple, that I hadn't caused the damage to the phone, I went back to the Apple Store yesterday and was ready to hand over my card to pay for the replacement, when the assistant (different guy from the first time I went in) said he wanted to have a look at it himself - when he looked with the magnifying glass thing they use, he said he couldn't see any physical damage, and that he was going to replace it for free under the warranty. Obviously I was delighted about this, and walked out of the store with a brand new iPhone ... or so I thought. When I got home and restored everything from the back up of my original phone, I noticed that under my contact 'Home', which is my landline phone number, there was a contact photo of someone I'd never seen before - and a link to a facebook page which turned out to be the profile of some Spanish guy.

I just wanted to ask you guys if Apple are in the business of handing out refurbs that still have other people's pictures and personal information on them, and whether I should be returning this. Would I have had a used phone given to me had I actually been made to pay £139 for it? As I said, my original phone was very well taken care of and I have no idea how the water sensor was activated, because other than general exposure to the elements - i.e. I'd be lying if I said I'd never been on a phone call in light rain - it hasn't ever been near water. I didn't expect to get a used phone as a replacement when I'm still well within my warranty.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If you had your phone for four and a half months you are not going to get a brand new phone. Because it was water damaged you needed to pay for it. Even if you didn't pay for it you would of got a refurbished phone.

Maybe if you came back the day after you bought it then you would of gotten a new one. Certainly not four months later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
If you had your phone for four and a half months you are not going to get a brand new phone. Because it was water damaged you needed to pay for it. Even if you didn't pay for it you would of got a refurbished phone.

Maybe if you came back the day after you bought it then you would of gotten a new one. Certainly not four months later.

And the same is true with every cell carrier and insurance provider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.