Admin pass word work around!!!!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a G5 on ebay a few months ago while on deployment in Iraq well I just got home and everything is working fine as far as I can tell but I through away the directions sent by the seller for first time login. I have emailed he seller how ever its been at least 3 or 4 moths since I have had contact with him. there is obviously a way around it because the keyboard shortcut was listed in the directions but like an *** not paying attention I through them away while on one of my cleaning fits, arrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!!

anyhelp??

OP
M
Reaction score
No. But again, the direction (that I tossed) listed key comands so I'm sure there is a work around. (knocking on wood.lol)

C

chas_m

Not intending to sound like a lecture, but what you really should do is purchase a retail copy of Leopard or the Leopard-edition Mac Box Set if you can find it (you can't run Snow Leopard). Leopard should be pretty cheap for a retail DVD these days, the Leopard-edition Mac Box Set would be more pricey but it includes great stuff like iLife (a MUST) and iWork (awesome), then wipe your drive (after saving your documents/music/pics/stuff of course and start over.

This will give you not only a fresh clean system that you can set up as you like, it avoids any security problems (like personal data left behind by the seller, or maybe he's logging your keystrokes -- who knows?) and clears the cruft.

Leopard + iLife/iWork 09 FTW!

Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac
Get the beta!
Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Not intending to sound like a lecture, but what you really should do is purchase a retail copy of Leopard or the Leopard-edition Mac Box Set if you can find it (you can't run Snow Leopard). Leopard should be pretty cheap for a retail DVD these days, the Leopard-edition Mac Box Set would be more pricey but it includes great stuff like iLife (a MUST) and iWork (awesome), then wipe your drive (after saving your documents/music/pics/stuff of course and start over.

This will give you not only a fresh clean system that you can set up as you like, it avoids any security problems (like personal data left behind by the seller, or maybe he's logging your keystrokes -- who knows?) and clears the cruft.

Leopard + iLife/iWork 09 FTW!

Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac
Get the beta!
Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!

Cyber crime iz teh crazy!

Also, Leopard is still pretty expensive. So is Tiger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not intending to sound like a lecture, but what you really should do is purchase a retail copy of Leopard or the Leopard-edition Mac Box Set if you can find it (you can't run Snow Leopard). Leopard should be pretty cheap for a retail DVD these days,

As already mentioned...it is inaccurate to state that retail Leopard disks "should be pretty cheap". They are still selling for at least $100-$125 on e-Bay...and sometimes more! But it is possible occasionally to find them less expensive on Craig's List.

By the way...I do agree with your advice that to "fix" the "OP's" admin password problem...that reinstalling the OS is really the best way to solve it. Either 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.