WD Smartware or Time Machine

Reaction score
WD Smartware or Time Machine
Having a WD Studio My Book coming next week and want to know what to use with it, WD Smartware or Time Machine.
The reason I and is that I have read both positive and negative posts on both.
Some say to not load the WD software into your machine as it will cause your problems but do not state what they will be, others say to use the WD software as you he more option for back up.
Others say that Time Machine is the only way to go, and others say stay with the WD software.
I want to know if either of them is better than the other or it's just a case of either or as both do a good job and it is a matter of personal preference.
I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It depends on your goals for backup.

Time Machine is great for automated backups, but it's emphasis is on keeping tabs on revisions to files. If you're looking for something more suited to disaster recovery, I would recommend SuperDuper!.

I have no experience with WD's own backup software, so I'll only make a general comment - most of the bundled software I've seen with these externals is half-baked at best. If you want solid backup software, go with a product from a company that specializes in software development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have the WD 500GB Studio MyBook and I use Time Machine for my Mac. I did install the WD software on my Windows machine, but it pales in comparison to Time Machine. Don't even bother with it if you don't have to. :Angry-Tongue:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with the recommendations you received.

Skip the WD software - as it pales in comparison to what Time Machine offers if you ever have to reinstall your copy of OS X.

And to add to what cw107 recommended (SuperDuper), you might also take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner which is highly rated by MacWorld.

Regards.

Reaction score
Yes, I have been using Time Machine + SuperDuper without any problems for the past year or so.

OP
Greysquirrel34
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, will check out both SD & CCC a quick look seems that the only difference is that your pay upfront for SD and can use CCC and donate if you use it.They both seem to do a good job and have good features and do what they are designed for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
FYI: SuperDuper is also free. It's basic, but will still create a bootable clone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
FYI: SuperDuper is also free. It's basic, but will still create a bootable clone.

But will not do incremental backups until you register and that requires payment. CCC will do incremental backups even if you should decide not to donate. BTW, I highly recommend anyone using CCC to at least donate the minimum amount asked for.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.