Matshita UJ-85J DVD Drive Fault

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2 GHz (EMC No. 2133) iMac Intel 20" with a Matshita UJ-85J DVD-R drive. I've recently had some trouble with the drive and needed some help. The drive won't copy discs.

It will play DVDs when they are inserted but it fails to even start burning discs. It will accept the disc into the drive and after a minute (approx) it will eject the disc again, before the process has even really started. It doesn't even try to burn the disc. I thought it was a bad batch of discs at first, but that's not so.

I have done a PRAM reset and repaired disc permissions (just in case) but the problem remains. Has anyone else ran into this trouble. Are the drives expensive to replace and is Apple the best place to take the machine?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would first try cleaning the drive. The optical lens may be dirty or smeared. You can purchase a cleaning kit at most stores which sell computers and accessories. Radio Shack, Best Buy, Fry's, etc.

If cleaning doesn't help, then it's probably time to think about replacing the drive itself. If your machine is under warranty or Apple care, then by all means take it to an Apple store and have them check it out.

However, if no warranty, you then have some choices to make: Pay someone to replace the drive + the cost of a new drive. (expensive) Buy an external drive and use it instead. (moderate cost) Buy a replacement drive and do the work yourself.

Go to the ifixit web site and price out their replacement internal drives and at the same time, take a look at their step by step instructions on how to do the job yourself. Then decide.

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.