Can i replace my intel core 2 duo with intel core i5???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24", 3.06 GHz intel core 2 Duo, 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Hi,
I'm a new mac user and im curious about upgrading my imac even though i just brought it.lol

i'm currently using a 24" aluminium imac with an intel core 2 duo processor. i wanted to know if it is possible to replace this with a intel core i5 processor as this is one that is in the 27" imac.

any help would be grateful. thanks in adavnce...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nope can't do it...the CPU's are soldered on the motherboard, and the CPU's are probably different sizes (length x width, or different pin configuration)...sorry.:(

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
I'm a new mac user and im curious about upgrading my imac even though i just brought it.lol

i'm currently using a 24" aluminium imac with an intel core 2 duo processor. i wanted to know if it is possible to replace this with a intel core i5 processor as this is one that is in the 27" imac.

any help would be grateful. thanks in adavnce...

(I reposted this in here because i may have posted it in the wrong section previously)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No need to double post.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
core 2 duo vs intel core i5

post on mac.jpg unless you also replace your mother board there is no way to interchange the two, forget about bio's compatibility and would it still work to its full potential, they just won't fit, the i5 is simply bigger than the core 2 duo physically, not to mention that common sense would say that in order to have faster processing speeds you would need more pins...... so in short if you want to go with the I series processors just buy a laptop with one in it, or replace your mother board spend the same amount and have to deal with the hassle of getting and apple product open.

in picture (right) Intel Core i5 inside (left) Intel Core 2 duo inside

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.