Accessing OSX RAID on PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 5.1, 2.66 gHz, 4gb ddr3, 9600m gt/9400m
So heres the issue. I have a 2 - 1TB hard drives in an external raid enclosure. they are mirrored and i did so through OSX. The problem is that I want to be able to use this back up drive on my pc tower which I recently installed windows 7 ultimate x64. I can see the hard drives when i go to disk management, but it shows them individually and I can not access them. I assume it has something to do with incompatibility between OSXs raid setup and windows. I did some research and installed MacDrive 8, but I still can not access the drives. I know this may air more on the Windows side of the forums, but I was hoping someone on the Mac side of things would have some insight. Any ideas or tips would be helpful.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
I am no expert in RAID setups, as I am barely gonna start interacting with them in early February (Thanks to Uncle Sam). Anyways, I think that most likely since you set them up with a Mac, you use HFS journaled, which to my knowledge, Windows doesnt play well with this file format. Dont hold me to this.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea youre right it is a journaled. unfortunately i think the real problem is that i setup the raid through OSX. since its a software raid im afraid that is going to mean formatting it differently to get them to play nicely. i was hoping for some other options. i do a lot of video editing so formatting in FAT is out due to the 4gb file limit. im really hoping theres a piece of software i can use in windows that will make the raid play nice. thanks for the suggestions though rz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
No problem, glad I can help. I have heard of Windows software thats able to read HFS Journaled drives, but at the same time I've heard bad things about them, as in not recommended.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so i have tried MacDrive 8, HFSExplorer, and TransMac...I can actually see the files and such with HFSExplorer, but it is a read only app. TransMac and MacDrive supposedly give me read/write capabilities, but they are not working. I can see both drives(which are according to windows "online" and working fine) and all partitions in Disk Management in Windows, but they do not show up under my computer.

I also have Ubuntu installed on my pc. When I connect the drive in that I can actually see and browse both drives but when I try to copy things to them it says I do not have permission. I check the permissions and it says it can not read the permissions. I connected it to my mbp again and checked the permissions and everything is set to read/write. I am at my wits end with this guys. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.