dodgy magsafe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4 533Mhz, 2010 MBP 13" Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 350M GPU, 250GB HDD.
my friend's macbook pro (fairly new, 2009 model) isnt charging by simply popping on the magsafe and switching it on, he has to fiddle with it until it registers ad 'on AC power'.

do you think this is a bad magnet or a bad socket?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Has your friend ever tripped over the cord?

I know that the "magsafe" connector is supposed to guard against damage to the laptop...such as the laptop getting dragged onto the floor after tripping over the power cord.

But if the magsafe power cord is tripped over enough times (or really hard just once)...it can damage the cord or the magsafe connector itself...and thus result in a intermittent electrical connection.

Just a thought,

- Nick

OP
~Darkseeker~
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4 533Mhz, 2010 MBP 13" Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 350M GPU, 250GB HDD.
i dont think he's tripped over it, it mostly lives on a desk or a mixing desk. the cord is usually well out of the way.

we're going down to the apple store sometime this weekend to check out the new polycarb macbook (havent had a chance since its release), might find out then.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
You can also get crud in the holes on the tip, keeping it from making good contact, although its use as a a desktop seems to make this as unlikely as the strained wires mentioned earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.