Disappointed with flash MX performance on mac

M

mogwai

hi guys

i have flash mx professional on my powermac g4 (733mhz/896ram/tiger 3.9/) and im very dissappointed with how slow flash is, especially when sliding the timeline
double clicking to edit movies.. etc moving items in the library etc..
flash on pc is blazing fast to work with! :( im a web developer and im very disappinted with this :(

do you experience the same? anyone has flash installed on a g5? is it the same?

OP
S

supremeoverlord

I run flash on my emac and it is fast as can be, no problems at all. It's not the pro version though maybe that makes a difference?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Use Safari or Camino, if you are using Firefox to view flash content, it's absoletly slow.

OP
M

mogwai

i wasnt referring to the plugin, the plugin is fine in safari
i referred to the application

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Oh, sorry about that. You aren't multi-tasking with other apps, are you? Also, try quitting out of apps in the menu bar and definitely anything that calls out to the internet. Those solutions don't seem to be the problem, but it's worth a try. It definitely is odd that flash mx runs slow on your system, because you seem to have good specs.

OP
M

mogwai

yes its quite strange cause other apps run very good but flash is unbearable sometimes, maybe its because its PRO? but its not much different from MX anyway

OP
M

mogwai

apparently its flash pro 2004 that is so slow, i just saw flash mx on a similar mac and its very fast!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mogwai said:
apparently its flash pro 2004 that is so slow, i just saw flash mx on a similar mac and its very fast!

Just curious, what Video card is in your G4? I have a Sawtooth G4 500 Mhz and with the stock ATI card things like you are talking about were very jerky and slow. I upgraded to a Radeon and things smoothed up a lot.

OP
M

mogwai

mine has nvidia if im not mistaken, its the standard it came out with. but the problem i had seem to be with flash, never experienced such slow performace with other software except iphoto which i really hate using and is very bloated

OP
C

cmdean

Slooooooooooow

I have a Powerbook g4 (1.25Ghz, 512MB RAM), and am getting REALLY slow performance in Flash MX 2004 Pro. Whenever I click into a movieclip, my CPU usage in the Activity Monitor go to 100% and stays there for 5-10 seconds, making it impossible to do anything until it comes down. I've notified Macromedia, but wondering if anyone else is getting this behavior...

OP
D

Dougbtn

Hi, I dont know if this will help but I was having a similar problem with Dreamweaver and I ran a hotfix (I dont know where I got it, sorry) and everything speeded up to its proper speed. Maybe if you had a search through the Macromedia site you may find a Mac hotfix for "Studio"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
dudes,

i have a staked dual 1.8 G5 with 3GB RAM. pro is slow on my machine too. pisses me off. it's all good though. i don't know if you heard but adobe bought macromedia recently. this is so kick butt for us designers that use PS and ILLUSTRATOR because the integration and workflow will now include the macromedia programs. YEAH!!!

lata

OP
M

mogwai

Its a shame that macromedia is not optimizing its software for the mac platform. Only freehand mx has good performance. Dreameaver is not that bad but flash is absolute crap. I wonder how some large design agencies rely on macs for web development

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
a lot of them have PCs for web/multimedia. i have seen some insane PCs. launch photoshop and after effects in like 2 seconds. for real! don't make me prove it. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.