iPhone 3G on Orange (UK)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I suspect this question might be just for UK iPhone owners, but there may be a similar issue with a different Supplier for US.

I have an iPhone 3G a little over a year old. It was originally with O2, as they were the only people who supported iPhones then, despite the fact that the O2 signal around here is very poor.

So at the end of last year, I removed it from O2 and connected to Orange. Long story cut short, it ended up being connected to Orange at first with a SIM card which did not support 3G. I now have a SIM which I am fairly sure does support 3G - except I cannot get a 3G signal from it.

I have verified from Orange (I think) that it is a 3G SIM. I have ensured that 3G is turned on in Settings. However, even in an area with a full strength signal, where I know that 3G is available, I only get GPRS.

Today I discovered on the Orange website a set of screenshots of the Settings on the iPhone. Apparently, if you go into Settings, General, Network, there is an option between 'Enable 3G' and 'Data Roaming' called 'Cellular Data' - which is where I need to check or alter the details.

My iPhone does not have this option. :(

I have tried changing the phone number from the '07......' format to the '+44 7......' format, I have shut down the iPhone completely, I have reset the Network settings, but no luck.

I have also spent the last 3 weeks trying to get some help from Orange Support - many emails in each direction and many attempts to get through to the right people by phone. I call them, wait for ages to get to speak to someone, explain the problem, am told they will get someone on the iPhone Team to call me back, wait....... someone calls me back when I am at Home, where there is no mobile signal. Rinse and repeat.

The only things I have not tried is to reset the whole iPhone to factory defaults (which AFAIK does not reset the actual phone settings) or Jailbreak the iPhone and then reconnect. I don't really want to do either of those and I don't really think either one would help.

Can anyone help please? :Confused:

Edit - I should add that it was disconnected properly from O2 (another long story) and then connected to Orange successfully in iTunes, but a misunderstanding lead to my using an incorrect SIM at first - now replaced with a different one.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried doing a complete reset and restore.

It all seems back, except that it now gives an error message when trying to Sync (file not found - what could possibly not be found?).

Also, it has made no difference to the original problem. :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Experiment indicates the error relates to the Pictures I am trying to synchronise. All of these were originally on the iPhone, but none of them will now copy back to it.

I have selected some new photos and those copied without problem. Only the ones which used to be there now refuse to go back.

The pictures are all viewable on the iMac.

Any ideas please?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fixed the Pictures - I renamed the folders and then it imported them. I am guessing that the folders are imported into iTunes and then copied to the iPhone. Somehow iTunes had screwed this up and so it could not 'find' the folders anymore.

Annoying but not too serious.

That leaves me back where I was before I tried resetting and restoring the iPhone - no 3G :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the Orange Website, I need to do this:

Setting up the handset

1. On the handset, tap Settings.
2. Scroll to and select General.
3. Scroll to and select Network.
4. Select Cellular Data Network.
5. Select the APN field, and enter orangeinternet.
6. Tap return.
7. In the Username field enter (this may be intentionally blank)
8. Tap return.
9. In the Password field enter (this may be intentionally blank)
10. Press the home button to return to the main screen.
11. Tap Safari.
12. Tap on the address bar.
13. Enter http://wap.orange.co.uk and tap Go.
14. Wait for the page to load, then tap on the add symbol.
15. Tap Add Bookmark.
16. Enter Orange as the title, and tap Save.
17. Press the home button to return to the main screen.

The settings have been applied and are ready for use.
Setup your phone for Email

How do I do that when there isn't a 'Cellular Data' option? :Confused:

Reaction score
My iPhone 3GS on Orange doesn't have a "Cellular Data" option either, but the 3G I had last on o2 did. I left o2 last month to get the 3GS with Orange, because the 3G coverage is much better on Orange in Leeds.

One thing I did notice when I was testing out different SIMs after I got my o2 3G unlocked, was that Orange have a nasty habit of giving out 2G SIMs as standard. In fact I ordered 3 times online and was sent a 2G one every time. I had to go to an Orange shop and they sold me a SIM, as he was running it through the till I said "are you absolutely sure it's 3G enabled" and he said "well, I got it out of the 3G drawer" :) I made him check with his colleagues and it wasn't a 3G SIM at all. I made sure he gave me the right one.

As I've had both, it seems to me that the 2G SIM comes in a credit card sized holder and is light orange in colour. The 3G SIM comes in a pack with a 3G sticker on, the SIM itself is in a smaller holder and is mainly black with dark orange highlights.

So check you've got the right SIM before you fret about settings, it may save you some stress :)

SV

Reaction score
Having had a quick search on the web, it would seem that the Cellular Data option was removed with the last Orange Carrier update. Which, if your web access etc works fine, like mine, it's no problem.

However, I did have reason to restore my phone at one point and I noticed when it restored there was a pop up in iTunes stating that there was a carrier update for Orange. I accepted this.

If you have the right SIM, but no web access, then you could try restoring and then refusing the carrier update.

SV

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting.

I was told by Orange Support that the 3G SIMs have a number of '30' or higher after the 894412. Mine is '52'.

On the other hand, it came in a black plastic pack a bit larger than a credit card and the SIM itself is light orange. Nowhere on the pack or the SIM does it actually say '3G'.

Could it be that this SIM is 2G as well, in which case all this effort and all the emails were a waste of time? :(

I think I may need to go into town and find an Orange shop - although in my experience most of the staff in such places are not that knowledgeable.

Reaction score
I got that impression (that they're not too knowledgeable). Orange now have a presence (a stand basically) in some large HMV's. there's one in Leeds, certainly. The guy there was even less clued up than the one in the Orange store.

Anyway, I can only go by personal experience. I ordered a SIM from Amazon, one from Orange website, and one from the shop. All were light orange in colour and turned out to be 2G. I got a PAYG 3G SIM and now a contract one, and both 3G SIMs are black.

So, I definitely say yours is another 2G. The fact you can't go in and change your settings is irrelevant as the carrier update appears to set them. I just think you've got the wrong SIM.

SV

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting.

I did another search on the Amazon website, which is where I ordered the first SIM.

This is the one I bought first.

A second search today found this.

Oddly enough, both are actually supplied by the same Third Party - who claimed the SIMs were all the same when I complained about the first one :Confused:

Edit - it seems the 'wrong' one is no longer supplied by the same firm. However this is the one I ordered (according to Amazon) and it was then supplied by the firm now supplying the 'correct' one. Confusing. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, we may be there at least.

I received the new SIM today.

It does not say '3G' on the package, but it is a different shape package than the other ones, so I opened it anyway. Inside is a small square card with a dark coloured SIM within it.

I installed it in the iPhone and it has been recognised and accepted.

Unfortunately, the signal at Home is marginal, so I will not know until I get to work tomorrow whether or not it is 3G. Looking promising though.

Fingers crossed :)

Reaction score
Looks like you got the right SIM card this time, mate.

I'm sure you'll pick up a 3G signal in the right area.

SV

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no 3G.

Good signal but still not getting 3G :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went into the Orange shop after work.

They were perfectly happy to provide a 3G PAYG SIM, until I revealed it was for an iPhone. Then they told me I have to contact Orange by phone. At least they confirmed the one I have is not a 3G SIM, despite the different colour and packaging. :(

Then I tried Carphone Warehouse (as that was where I bought the iPhone originally - although not the same branch). Same thing - happy to provide an Orange 3G PAYG SIM - until I took out the iPhone.

Maybe I should try another shop and not say what it is for. They seem to think the SIM required for an iPhone is a special one and not the same as any other 3G SIM. Could that be true? :Confused:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At last!!!

One of the online firms sold me a 3G Orange PAYG SIM. :D

It doesn't say that on the SIM, but the packaging says 3G in large writing.

I plugged it into the iPhone at work and it would not connect. All of the 2G ones were interchangeable without needing iTunes, so that might be a good sign. This one is different.

I brought it home and fitted it - then connected to iTunes. Nothing.

I reset and restored the iPhone again, so the connection string would be downloaded again. Nothing.

So after 5 weeks, at last I have a 3G PAYG Orange SIM - and it doesn't work in the iPhone. Very, very tempted to say a rude word or two :(

I suppose if my Boss happens to be out, I could spend an afternoon trying to call Orange Support. :Smirk:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I registered the SIM online.

Now waiting - the iPhone says 'No Service'.

How true that is :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great News!! :Cool:

Orange called me - they spent about half an hour on the phone and they upgraded my connection from the old 2G to the new 3G SIM, keeping the same number.

It works!!

I have a good strong 3G connection - exactly what the iPhone should have been all along. Great. :)

I still have a minor problem with the 'Your Account' settings on the Website - which also affects the 'My Orange' App on the iPhone - but these are much less important and I am sure they can be resolved as well.

So the system works - you try to do something, complain when it doesn't work, spend several nights erasing and reinstalling your iPhone, send many emails and try many times to get through to the support centre, ***** about the problem online........

.......and they respond and fix the problem :Smirk:

Edit - Not risked connecting it to iTunes again yet - and the ***** was not really that bad a word :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.