Simple Question. Complicated Answer? Router & MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Basically...

Me and my girlfriend live like 50 metres away from her University, which has a free internet connection which often lets us download at 10meg per second (if we are inside the university of course).

Now, we've been talking about this for quite some time, we both want the internet in the house - but refuse to pay the ridiculious prices internet companies are charging us these days.

Problem is, when we are in our flat, we're too far away to wireless connect to the University. I was wondering is their a modem/router/some piece of hardware that would increase the range of my MacBook and her ACER laptop so that we could connect to the University internet from our home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
you can can tune a router to act as a repeater. Your speed will take a hit but you'll gain better reception because it's rebroadcasting the signal.

Reaction score
The above is a good idea, but you need to check and make sure the university is ok with that. Putting an unauthorized device on the network could land you in hot water with them and you may lose the privilege all together.

I would say buck up and pay for internet access in your place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
The above is a good idea, but you need to check and make sure the university is ok with that. Putting an unauthorized device on the network could land you in hot water with them and you may lose the privilege all together.

I would say buck up and pay for internet access in your place.

This would be the ideal situation - all your internet activities would be logged and open to exploit. It certainly is a privilege.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's not an 'open network' - we have to enter in our university login details to access the internet in the first place. The university is perfectly okay with students using their internet - on the conditions that they ARE students.

We've spoken to them about it, the only problem is getting the signal strength to access the network =[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not an 'open network' - we have to enter in our university login details to access the internet in the first place. The university is perfectly okay with students using their internet - on the conditions that they ARE students.

We've spoken to them about it, the only problem is getting the signal strength to access the network =[

No one suggested it was 'open' - only make sure you have consent from the university. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.