Should I wait for New MBP?

Reaction score
I was getting set to buy the 17" MBP (tomorrow) and went online to do a little more research. Now I don't know if I should wait for a new model. It seems that a new model may be due out very soon.

Any suggestions? Should I wait or get one now? This will be my first Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was getting set to buy the 17" MBP (tomorrow) and went online to do a little more research. Now I don't know if I should wait for a new model. It seems that a new model may be due out very soon.

Any suggestions? Should I wait or get one now? This will be my first Mac.

Can you provide some links as to what internet research you did that indicates that new Apple laptops are due out very soon?

I would love to read the articles.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Bottom line is do you need it NOW??
If not wait til the next one comes out. If you want to wait til next one BC its up to date and the latest you will always be waiting for the latest to come out.
If this MBP will do everything above and beyond what you need then i would buy now.
You wont be disappointed

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
If you can wait and you dont need it right now I would wait. If you really need it right now then go out and buy it. You wont be disappointed ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Wait till we know what was talked about on the Apple product event on January 27. And if there si no MBP talk there and you need one as the others have said buy it. But in my personal opinion I would never buy just before an Apple product event because you never know what they could announce and show at those events.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just one example, but the Buyer's Guide from MR notes that the MBP is 27 days past its average time-between-updates.

Yes...that could be one possible indicator. But looking at the same page Mac Buyer's Guide...it also indicates that the Mac Pro is due for an update as well...since it is 88 days past it's average time-between-updates.

Rumors are rumors...and until Apple actually makes an announcement...rumors are basically worthless!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
To wait or not?

Hi,

I was looking to by a Macbook Pro this weekend but of course this has put me off. I was planning to get the entry level 15" - do you think its likely that a core i5 will end up in that model and if so for a very similar price?

Lewis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hi,

I was looking to by a Macbook Pro this weekend but of course this has put me off. I was planning to get the entry level 15" - do you think its likely that a core i5 will end up in that model and if so for a very similar price?

Lewis

No idea yet. Even google searches will only give you rumors. If you don't absolutely need it today, wait another week (well, 5 days) to see what is announced and go from there. There are Windows laptops out that have i5s in them so it's not an impossibility. There's just no way to know what will be announced. It could be one thing (apple tablet) or several things (tablet, iPhone, new line of MBPs). Who knows?!! None of us do. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Again, this question is asked a lot. If you need it now and can afford it, then go and get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.