Internal Hard drive Suddenly Disappeared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
I woke up this morning and found that one of my internal hard drives (the one i use to store all my music AU plugins) was missing from my desktop, and i went into disc utility and it had disappeared for no reason!

I shut down the computer and took out all the hard drive bays and put them back, and when i restarted it said mac couldn't recognise the hard drive!

The hard drive is a 500gb western digital, it came with my mac pro and has the apple stamp on it!

Im running a 2nd gen mac pro with snow leopard, any help would be appreciated, cuz i dont want to have to buy a new hard drive, then have to reinstall the 400gb of libraries again, lol!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Try putting the drive in an external USB enclosure. If it doesnt work there it is probably something wrong with the drive itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
To save you the cost of an external enclosure, which may or may not prove necessary, try using a SATA-USB adaptor, like this Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (realising you're in the UK, you can probably find a cheaper, generic adaptor at a PC shop). Test the drive while it's out of the Pro.

If the drive has died for some reason, maybe this Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software - Windows/Mac could be useful in extracting as many of your audio files as possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
In the end i had to use my extended warranty and get a new hard drive from apple and just re install the programs again! Quite a nuisance, but apple were friendly and quick about it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.