Best place to get a used macbook?

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a used macbook, I was wondering if there are any sites you recommend? I went to the apple store and the refurbished is still a little to steep for me, I am on a budget. Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
Whats your price range?

Also if your a student you can grab a new macbook from the apple store for a $899.

Also eBay might be a good choice just be careful, because some of the sellers are not what they seem. Make sure the seller has a good reputation. Make sure you ask for serial number to check if the laptop is stolen.

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a used macbook, I was wondering if there are any sites you recommend? I went to the apple store and the refurbished is still a little to steep for me, I am on a budget. Thank you for any help.

If the refurbs are still a little out of your price range, I would suggest Craigslist, although availability will have a lot to do on where you live. Ebay would be my second option.

This is really a great time to be looking for a used Macbook. With the rumored Macbook refresh coming up soon, I bet you will see a lot of people out there selling their current models to upgrade to the latest and greatest, which is good for you.

OP
DMG1287
Reaction score
Well I am in the navy, and I am just trying to find the best deal possible, I would like to spend no more then 799 if possible. The best deal I found on the applestore was 849.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Craig's List or e-Bay is pretty much it. There are used computer internet sites...but they are usually wayyy too expensive! You could also check the classified section of your local newspaper...but that's REALLY a long-shot.

If you were a university student (yes you said you were currently in the Navy)...I would have also suggested checking the University newspaper & bulletin boards around campus.

- Nick

OP
DMG1287
Reaction score
Well guys I just did my taxes and I am getting a lot more money then I thought so I will be going to best buy when I get it in about two weeks and buying a macbook and a ipod touch. The actual reason I am getting a mac is because of microsoft and pc companies. I do like windows and my 120 GB zune but when they released the zune hd with no intention of apps or games (has had the same 16 for 6 months now) it just showed me that they don't care what there consumers want, I want to buy a product in a company that listen's (which they didnt do with vista either). As far as the pc companies go it seems like there computers dont last like they use to (from experience), everyone swears by apple so I am going to give them a shot. Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a place I've purchased parts from, but not whole computers, they seemed reasonably priced:

Used MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo/1.83 GHz | PowerMax

Too much. The place you linked is selling 3-4 year-old 1.83ghz MacBooks for $669.00.

6 months ago I paid $400 for a MacBook 2.0ghz core 2 duo from someone on Craig's List. You should be able to easily get an older 1.83ghz MacBook for less than $669 on Craig's List or e-Bay.

The majority of internet stores selling used Macintosh equipment charge way more than what you can get (with careful & patient shopping) the same computer from someone on Craig's List or e-Bay.

I'm not saying these internet stores aren't doing what they have to do to make a profit...I'm just saying you can do better on Craig's list or e-Bay.

- Nick

Reaction score
The thing you won't get on Craigslist is any sort of warranty, many of the online retailers offer at least a minimal warranty. Craigslist is a great place to look for Macs though, I picked up a MacBook Core 2 Duo machine that had a bad Magsafe board and ended up spending just a bit under $150 for the MacBook and parts for a great running machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fall 09 macbook
If I was going to get a pre owned macbook, I would just get the refurbished one from Apple themselves. I for one don't really trust buying anything used from anywhere but the original company or from a friend just because of past experiences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
adding to that, the refurbished ones from apple come with 12mth warranty, plus option to purchase applecare, which means at the end of the day, that not only you are getting a major discount, but Apple believes they are as new, and are standing behind the products.
In most cases, they are probably better than new as the testing has been more rigorous!
I know that next time I need a new mac, I am certainly going down that road in preference to the Apple store or other Apple retailers.

OP
DMG1287
Reaction score
Well I plan on buying a brand new one for 999$, just waiting for my tax return which should be here by the end of next week.

Reaction score
Got mine off the Apple web site. You get the same warranties and support. No scratches and it looked like a brand new computer. The only thing different was that it wasn't wrapped in a fancy glossy box. I've bought three Ipods the same way and never had a problem w/ them either. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power G4/ MacBook Intel 1.83 GHz/ MacBook 2008 2.4 GHz Unibody / MBPro 2.53 GHz/ Iphone 3GS
What Ru looking for? and what region of the country u are in? Otherwise what every body else said Craig's list or good old E-Bay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I plan on buying a brand new one for 999$,

Didn't you start this thread with the title, "Best place to get a used macbook?":Confused:

Reaction score
Hey microcenter is running a sell for 799 after a 200 dollar mail in rebate, thats where i just got my first mac 2 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Rebate! This means the purchaser still has to front up with the initial outlay!
Also, the "mail in rebate" ends 31st jan 2010, which leaves a good chance that microcenter would turn around and say .... "too late, you didn't send in the required paper work by the due date" :)

I just found out that the rebate is actually a prepaid visa card!
That's what I call a con!

Reaction score
well it ant a big deal...they give you 15 days to send it from the date of purchase and almost all rebates i have used in the last year have been the visa cards.....BTW he did say he was just gunna buy a new one that is cheapest he will probably find. And they keep doing the same deal over and over..when i bought mine the deal ended on the 18th before that it ended on december 31st..meaning they will probably keep doing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.