Parallels 4.0 to 5.0? 2GB RAM good enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 24in 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 - RAM 2Gb - OS 10.6.2
Greetings Forum!

I have 2Gb of RAM on my IMAC (late 2006 model) and I have recently upgraded to OS 10.6.2 and Parallels 4.0.

When I run Parallels (both the old version and new version on the new OS) my mac gets REALLY SLOW and I monitor my RAM using Activity monitor to see that I have nothing left.

Will I ger improved performance if I replace one RAM module with a 2Gb module to max out the computer with 3Gb?

Will I get improved performance if I pay more for Parallels 5.0? (I upgrade to 4.0 a few weeks before 5.0 came out and they won't send me the newer version now....)

Thanks.
Frank.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How much ram are you allocating to Parallels? I use VMware Fusion and it runs just fine with 1 GB of RAM. I do however have 4GB of RAM total though. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I agree with CrimsonRequiem. Try reducing the amount of computer resources Parallels is giving to Windows and you should see a performance increase. Upgrading your RAM to its maximum is also a good idea but still don't let Windows hog all of your resources.

Unless you are doing a lot of intensive applications in Windows or doing a lot of multitasking then Windows doesn't really need more than 1 GB of RAM. I don't know if Parallels can do this also but with Fusion I can also limit the amount of core CPUs Windows uses. I only give Windows 1 core processor. In other words give Windows only as much as it needs to work and no more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I upgraded to 3GB in our White iMac and allocate 1.4GB to Parallels 3 w XP and it now works fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 24in 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 - RAM 2Gb - OS 10.6.2
Thanks All. I'm going to try to dial back to 1gb for Par. Ill see if this works. Ideally I would like to be able to comfortably use Thunderbird (for email) and Firefox on my MAC and while I am on Parallels..... I'll report back.

Reaction score
My problem seems to be the opposite... I have a 4 GB w/ 2.8 MacBook Pro and the Parallel runs really slow... even when I have no programs running on the Mac side...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
What are your settings for Parallel?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks All. I'm going to try to dial back to 1gb for Par. Ill see if this works. Ideally I would like to be able to comfortably use Thunderbird (for email) and Firefox on my MAC and while I am on Parallels..... I'll report back.

1GB is overkill for Windows XP, but it is necessary for Vista or 7. You might even be able to get away with 512MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.