IP Configuration message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor: 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 1 GB; 667 MHz
I've been getting a message (with Red exclamation point!) popping up every ten minutes or so entitled IP Configuration, and then it gives the IP number in use and the "DHCP Server" number. It only gives me the option to close it out. Is this anything that should concern me? BTW, the hard drive on my IMac was just replaced by Apple (went from Tiger to Leopard) after the old one had problems...I'm new to the forum, and thanks for any feedback.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you tell us a bit about your Internet connection?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have the Verizon FIOS package - LAN Ethernet hookup to Actiontec MI424WR router. What other info would you need?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using a wireless connection or Ethernet?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OK. It almost sounds like an IP conflict, where you're getting a warning that another device is using the same IP.

Try releasing and renewing the IP address:

1. Open System Preferences => Network
2. Click Ethernet in the left pane
3. Click Advanced in the right pane
4. Click the TCP/IP tab.
5. Click "Renew DHCP lease".

See if that does the trick.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks so much...will give it a try - but wouldn't you know I haven't received the message in the past two hours or so! Like going to the mechanic and the car stops making that noise...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks so much...will give it a try - but wouldn't you know I haven't received the message in the past two hours or so! Like going to the mechanic and the car stops making that noise...

Yes, that certainly could be a transient thing. I believe those routers have wireless capability. If you don't use it, you might want to double check with Verizon to make sure it's at least locked down and secured.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Verizon router does have wireless capability, and it is locked...we do use the wireless for two laptops. The message hasn't reappeared, so I'll keep the advice handy if it happens again. Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score

A few weeks back, I had a simular problem on my PC/XP workstation. Very weird errors while surfing internet and the odd time, the workstation's Ethernet Network or ISP connection would drop. After lots of investigation, I had to re-configure my workstation's IP.

Changes are:
- Workstation was using DHCP. Changed my configuration to Static IP.
- Workstation's new Default Gateway is now Router's IP address.
- Was using DHCP supplied DNS IP address. Workstation's DNS address is now Gateway's address.
- Workstation was using DHCP supplied IP address. Now, my workstation is using a static IP address. For this intenal network number, I took Gateway's IP address and added 2.
- Subnet mask was DHCP supplied. Now, my workstaion uses 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.
- For the next computer on the same internal ethernet network, its station IP address would be Default Gateway IP address +3. Before adding +1 for each workstation on the same network, I also viewed my Router's configuration and discovered its DHCP range is from 7 to 15. Thus, allowing 2 to 6 to be used as static IPs - without conflicting with its DHCP auto-assignments.

I also changed my NIC card from auto to 100-Full. For some reasons, some NIC cards and HUBs have problems synchronizing with one another (when both set to auto-auto). Thus, setting to 100-FULL makes a better synchoronization (with one another).

Every since changing my workstation to "static" IPs (instead of ISP's recommended DHCP settings) and changing to 100-FULL, my workstation has been running great.

Converting to static IP addressing (assuming your ISP Router uses NAT) and using FIX settings on the workstation's NIC card might work great for you as well....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You most likely have a deeper underlying problem that you've effectively masked using static IP. If there's an IP conflict, it means another workstation is trying to use your allocated IP. This could mean a problem with the lease, your scope, or worse, interlopers on your wireless network. I would recommend further study before you consider the case close. Static IP is usually not necessary on a small network. And if you haven't removed that address from the DHCP pool, you will likely have problems down the road if you frequently add network devices, depending on how intelligent your DHCP server is.

Reaction score

As a suggestion... Surf the support page of your ISP's modem, and configure your workstation to their recommended settings. Three years ago, my ISP recommended DHCP. I checked a few weeks ago and to my surprise, their IP configuration instructions are updated. They are now clearly stating "static IPs" for their modem/Router setup. re:

--------

From the General tab, select Use the following IP address and enter the following information into the fields:

IP address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1 (which is the my Router's factory IP)
Ensure that Use the following DNS server addresses is selected and enter 192.168.2.1 in the Preferred DNS server field.

Extracted from: Bell: Windows XP TCP/IP Setup for SpeedStream 5200

-----------

Hope this helps as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.