Antivirus when running Windows on Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here & new to Mac. So far, I'm loving my 17" MacBook Pro.

So far, one of the problems I've encountered is I've had much difficulty finding a financial software program similar to MS Money for my Mac. After a lot of searching & trial of downloads, I've concluded that my best solution ( & to maintain my sanity) is to just stay with MS Money. I have a PC, but it's having issues & I want it off my desk anyway so my new Mac can take center stage (where it belongs).

Again, more research on my part as to whether I should install Windows (XP) under Boot Camp or Parallels. Most of my research indicates that my needs for Windows would be best filled by using Parallels. I haven't purchased anything yet so I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

I'm concerned about viruses and running Windows on my Mac. I was told (by Apple) that I would need to run a Dual Protection Anti-virus (Intego Virus Barrier x5 Dual Protection was suggested). However, my research on mac forums indicates that running an anti-virus is not necessary for Mac. I only plan to use windows for running a few applications such as MS Money Plus, Print Master, Lotus Word Pro, and maybe Microsoft Works. I do NOT plan to access the internet using internet explorer. I will use apple mail & Safari.

So, my questions are:
1. Does it make a difference if I use Parallels or Boot Camp as to how I run an anit-virus program?
2. Do I only need to run an anti-virus for Windows? Can I feel comfortable that my Mac is safe from viruses in doing so?
3. How do I only run anti-virus for Windows if I am using Parallels? (do I install it after opening parallels?)
4. Will the free version of AVG be sufficient if I don't intend to access the internet from Windows? Does anyone have any other recommendations for anti-virus programs?

Sorry if that's TMI, but I figure I'd give you some background before getting to the main questions. Thanks so much for any input/suggestions you may have.
~Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
1. No - you don't need it.
2. No - as long as you are not accessing the internet while on Windows. Yes - the Mac is safe as long as you are not accessing the internet while on Windows. (common sense dictates not copying any infected files from your Windows desktop over to your windows partition on the MBP)
3. Don't need it.
4. Sorry - no experience on my part so I can't give input. I'll leave it for someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac is safe from Windows viruses, period. Even if you copied a .EXE file to your Mac side, it would not do anything. But you do need A/V for Windows most definitely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download Microsoft Security Essentials and install whilst you are in the Windows partition. It is possible to get a virus on that partition and then you have to delete the partition, again partition and install Windows using Parallels or BootCamp.

BootCamp seems the most popular method of installing around here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Or hopefully some of the knowledgeable on here can help you in the search for a financial software program similar to MS Money, to run on the Mac so you can steer clear form the window's partition .....

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MelissaR:

Give iBank a try. It's the closest OS X financial program to MS Money that you'll find. It's a bit pricey at $59.99 but it does everything. You can download their trial version to test before you buy.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
MelissaR:

Give iBank a try. It's the closest OS X financial program to MS Money that you'll find. It's a bit pricey at $59.99 but it does everything. You can download their trial version to test before you buy.

Regards.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried iBank. It's a good program, but didn't quite fit my needs. Along with personal banking, we have rental properties, & a small business. With MS Money, I was able to create multiple ways to organize my transactions (Categories and more than one Class/Tag). I've also looked into Quick Books Mac but that's a bit much accounting for me.

Is Boot Camp preferred to parallels? Hmmm. From what I've read, Parallels appears to be easier to install, was recommended for users who don't need to run Windows intensive programs & is more flexible to use than Boot Camp.

Now I'm really confused!
>> First I was leaning towards Parallels.
>> Then I was convinced Boot Camp was the way to go (since it's an Apple product & I would get Apple support & it's already on my computer so that means one less program to purchase, plus, in my mind I figure the whole virus thing would be easier to seperate)
>> Then I went back to Parallels after my research indicated that my needs didn't really require Boot Camp.
>> Now, I'm back to Boot Camp!
HELP! What's the consensus here, what's the best way for me to to run occasional Windows programs such as MS Money Plus, Print Master, Microsoft Works, Lotus Word Pro, not to much more. I plan to spend most of my time on the Mac side. I have a 17" MacBook Pro, so, from what I've read, my performance shouldn't be affected too much. I don't want to loose much of the functions I have with my Mac if I go with Boot Camp (I've read that the track pad doesn't work with Boot Camp). Also, will setting up my wireless printer be easier with either set up?

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I really do LOVE my mac!!!

~ Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey Mel ~
I dont personally use windows on my Mac but there will be good and bad which ever you use.

The main difference with BootCamp and say Parallels, is with BC you will need to log out of the Mac side of the PC and then log into your windows side.
With parallels, you can switch from one to the other as if you where Quick Switching between accounts in OS X.
At the end of the day if i was to put windows on my Mac i would go with Parallels, over any of the other 3rd party apps.
But thats just my opinion.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There are pros and "cons" to virtualization and Boot Camp. Continue your research and see what fits your needs the best.

Your Mac is safe from Windows viruses, period. Even if you copied a .EXE file to your Mac side, it would not do anything. But you do need A/V for Windows most definitely.

Like I said, IF you are not accessing internet and not moving files to the windows partition you will be fine without antivirus software.
It sounded (to me anyways) like the OP would only be entering business/banking info into a program on the windows side. They did not mention anything about files being loaded/transferred over. That was what my comments were based on. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Hi everyone! I'm new here & new to Mac. So far, I'm loving my 17" MacBook Pro.

So far, one of the problems I've encountered is I've had much difficulty finding a financial software program similar to MS Money for my Mac. After a lot of searching & trial of downloads, I've concluded that my best solution ( & to maintain my sanity) is to just stay with MS Money. I have a PC, but it's having issues & I want it off my desk anyway so my new Mac can take center stage (where it belongs).

Again, more research on my part as to whether I should install Windows (XP) under Boot Camp or Parallels. Most of my research indicates that my needs for Windows would be best filled by using Parallels. I haven't purchased anything yet so I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

I'm concerned about viruses and running Windows on my Mac. I was told (by Apple) that I would need to run a Dual Protection Anti-virus (Intego Virus Barrier x5 Dual Protection was suggested). However, my research on mac forums indicates that running an anti-virus is not necessary for Mac. I only plan to use windows for running a few applications such as MS Money Plus, Print Master, Lotus Word Pro, and maybe Microsoft Works. I do NOT plan to access the internet using internet explorer. I will use apple mail & Safari.

So, my questions are:
1. Does it make a difference if I use Parallels or Boot Camp as to how I run an anit-virus program?
2. Do I only need to run an anti-virus for Windows? Can I feel comfortable that my Mac is safe from viruses in doing so?
3. How do I only run anti-virus for Windows if I am using Parallels? (do I install it after opening parallels?)
4. Will the free version of AVG be sufficient if I don't intend to access the internet from Windows? Does anyone have any other recommendations for anti-virus programs?

Sorry if that's TMI, but I figure I'd give you some background before getting to the main questions. Thanks so much for any input/suggestions you may have.
~Mel

AVG would be a sufficient catch-all for your Windows side. The setup is no different whether you use Boot Camp or use virtual machine software. The only reason why it was suggested to use AV for Mac is to prevent spreading viruses to other PCs. No one wants to be a Typhoid Mary. ;)

An also keep the Windows Firewall on and run Automatic Updates. You'll be set.

Reaction score
I need Windows for my accounting and tax programs only, so I use Parallels.

Since I require internet access for upgrades etc, I use System Mechanic Pro for AV etc - which I began using about 5 years ago when I was PC based.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind, but I thought of a few more questions . . .
1. Regarding my wireless printer set up:
If I choose to use Parallels, will I have to re-set up my wireless printer? What about Boot Camp?

2. Regarding my Time Machine backup:
If I choose to use Parallels, will my Time Machine backup backup both the Mac side & the Windows side or will I have to do a separate backup for the Windows side? What about Boot Camp?

Thanks again,
Mel

Reaction score
If I choose to use Parallels, will I have to re-set up my wireless printer? What about Boot Camp?

If I choose to use Parallels, will my Time Machine backup backup both the Mac side & the Windows side or will I have to do a separate backup for the Windows side? What about Boot Camp?

Thanks again,
Mel

1. Not sure (my printer is USB). But I think it should be fine via Parallels - never used Bootcamp.

2. Windows is seen as one large file and Time Machine will back it up automatically (or you can exclude it by checking the box in Parallels).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Wireless printing from a VM can get tricky. The VM software (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox) provides drivers to enable video, sound, printing, CD, etc. It depends on whether or not your particular printer will work with whatever drivers are currently available. You'll need to do some homework on that. Probably best to ask about your particular printer in the Parallels forum.

If you choose to use Parallels, you can ignore Boot Camp. No need to run the BC assistant and create a bootable partition for Windows. Parallels will take care of all that for you via its program. Remember, Parallels creates a "Virtual Machine" and emulates through virtualization the functions of Windows including creating a partition, etc.

If I choose to use Parallels, will my Time Machine backup backup both the Mac side & the Windows side or will I have to do a separate backup for the Windows side? What about Boot Camp? Thanks again, Mel

Time Machine will backup everything that's currently on your hard drive if you allow it to. And that includes the virtual machine copy of Windows. You can always exclude the Windows VM from any TM backup if you so desire.

From the applications you mentioned above that you would like to run in Windows, all should run well from within a Virtual Machine using Parallels or Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox from Sun. It's only when you need to run graphic intensive applications such as games or CAD that you would need to use a natural run of Windows from Boot Camp.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wireless printing from a VM can get tricky. The VM software (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox) provides drivers to enable video, sound, printing, CD, etc. It depends on whether or not your particular printer will work with whatever drivers are currently available. You'll need to do some homework on that. Probably best to ask about your particular printer in the Parallels forum. . . . (more)

I did a search on the forum for "Parallels" which yielded a lot of results . . . Is there a specific forum dedicated strictly to Parallels?

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I really appreciate your sharing your wealth of Mac knowledge with me.
~ Mel

Reaction score
hi everyone

i believe that the way you will choose to install windows depends on the programs that you will run on it.if you intend to play video games for example which are demanding apps then you should try bootcamp.if on the other hand you want to run less demanding apps then try parallels which also saves you time...
personally i have installed windows via bootcamp in order to play a few games:p
and i have bought parallels(which is not very expensive) in order to load run windows for specific apps quicker..

OP
M
Reaction score
I did it!!!! After another investment into m computer and several hours later, I now have a virtual windows machine within my mac. I now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. It was a little tricky restoring my Money Plus backups from 3 separate accounts. Also, as expected, my printer was not working from the Windows side. I took a chance & installed the disk that came with my printer; not sure if that was necessary, but the test page did print. I even downloaded AVG free anti-virus & installed that on the Windows side. Whew!

One quick question (let me know if I should repost this as a new thread):
When I'm not using windows I selected "Quit Parallels Desktop" It's still in my applications list, but not on the dock. Anyway, is Windows still running in the background? or, does it only load & run when I open Parallels & my virtual Windows computer?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Mel

Reaction score
No, Windows should have stopped (assuming you shut it down/Hibernated etc- and the allocated RAM freed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.