Only an observation: my complaint about Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
It speaks volumes that so far, I only have one complaint about the new Macbook I just bought. I love it overall. But, I feel Apple is being stingy to only give me 2 USB ports. I think 4 is the norm, and 3 would even help. Other than that, no real complaints!

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
lol true, but sometimes exactly what is needed = more haha..I could always get a USB router, but that is like going back to the Window's ratnest on my desk haha

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think 2 USB is more than enough on a notebook. The MBA only has one port >_<".

What devices do you have connected that you need 4? I have my Wacom Tablet connected at all times, and the only other device that I connect or use often is my external HDD and thumb drives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd like to have more than two as well. Unfortunately, that's just not the Apple way. Form is always greater than function in Apple land - and Mr. Jobs hates all kinds of holes and flashing lights, which is why there's no HDD activity light (which would be really handy IMHO).

If you think Macs are lacking now, just wait a few years. Apple is currently working with Intel to develop a new extremely high-bandwidth external bus called Light Peek. If that comes to pass, it appears as though Macs will come equipped with just a single port for all of your connectivity needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Some students and those in countless professions who regularly use more than one flash drive would love more than two.

I know what your thinking, buy a flash drive with larger capacity. In the real world, most of the time you may find your self dealing with an unpredictable work load from month to month and project to project. At times you may only need 1GB, at other times you may need 20GB.

Yes, there is always a way around this. A way to customize everything. But in the end many would benefit from more than two.

Though I should add I may be biased. I use Corsair flash drives. While you can run over them with a bus you can't use them at the same time so close side by side :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
I also could use 4 so I bought a USB hub. This is one of the few complaints I have about my MBP. 1 Blackberry, 1 iPhone, 1-2 bluetooth headsets depending (1 for exercise and 1 for conference calls) and 1 for my Time Machine back up HD. I'm rarely home so I backup with both Time Machine on an external drive and CrashPlan. Even the weak HP my job provided had 4 ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Unfortunately, that's just not the Apple way. Form is always greater than function in Apple land - and Mr.
That really is the root cause of the problem and several other Mac problems. I wouldn't mind having more USB ports either.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Buy a hub.

Sure, but then you've got to carry that around along with your laptop, not to mention that many devices don't work with hubs and that the bandwidth is split.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sure, but then you've got to carry that around along with your laptop, not to mention that many devices don't work with hubs and that the bandwidth is split.

That's the thing. I rarely need even one USB port when I'm traveling. And when you come home, a (powered) hub makes things a good deal easier--only one thing to plug in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
I wouldn't worry too much. I currently have a BB Tour, iPhone, WD Passport and a bluetooth headset connected to a very cheap Targus and everything is charging and working fine. The website says it costs $19.99 but I think I paid less than that. Of course it also basically says that external HDs require the more expensive one but I can confirm I am using mine now. This thing takes up no space.

Hubs | ACH111US | by Targus

Reaction score
I do to feel that it should come with 3 ports. 4 might be pushing it but 3 is very handy. I know that while I'm on my desk I have my wireless mouse,iPod and sometimes I want to hookup my Blackberry and can't do all 3. Do I need to? No never had to wait for one port because it was so busy I could not disconnect but 3 ports with a TAD bit of room in between would be fantastic.

But to late now,already bought it lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
but 3 ports with a TAD bit of room in between would be fantastic.

I totally agree on that one. I have two USB devices that if i plug in i cant fit another USB device in BC it is just a little oversized :( Which make me have to go through a hub so i can use at least 2 ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I always thought this. When I got my MacBook back in 06, all the other laptops I saw had at least 3 USB ports spread on both sides of the laptop.

However, I never needed more than one or two on the go for a USB stick and maybe my iPod/iPhone cable. Nothing else is necessary for me when I'm out.

When I get home its a different story though. My powered Dock gets plugged in with its 5 USB ports and top-loading iPod/iPhone dock. I have 3 USB external hard drives with music, TV series, films etc and a spare that doesn't get plugged in "just in case." Plus my Soundsticks that use the USB port and logitech wireless mouse charger/receiver. That still leaves me with the FireWire port spare for the MyBook 300GB that is currently plugged into my Cube, and a USB port for any pen drives I can put in the machine when I'm in a hurry.

I would recommend using a FW external drive, although they are a little more expensive than a USB one, that is a 3rd port if you need it.

Or you could use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and save those ports altogether.

But if you use your laptop for any extended period of time as your main computer, I'd definitely recommend a powered USB hub, I'm very happy with mine! :)

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I totally agree on that one. I have two USB devices that if i plug in i cant fit another USB device in BC it is just a little oversized :( Which make me have to go through a hub so i can use at least 2 ...

That used to be a problem for me, until I stopped using a USB thumb drive, ;P

Reaction score
i have 3 ports because i have a mbp 17 but even still i wouldn't mind having another port and them getting rid of this stupid useless ExpressCard/34 slot that you cant even find stuff to use in it.. honestly search for google for expresscards usless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
i have 3 ports because i have a mbp 17 but even still i wouldn't mind having another port and them getting rid of this stupid useless ExpressCard/34 slot that you cant even find stuff to use in it.. honestly search for google for expresscards usless
Memory card readers? 3G broadband cards?

Oh, wait, I forgot. Those are things other people use, and Apple is your personal company. Silly of them to build in things that other people might need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Geee you all use a lot of USB devices. Now days all my ports in the backside of my imac are empty bar 2. One USB port for my wired alu keyboard and the headphone hack for my headphones (I live in an apartment and care about my neighbours). That is 7 ports including 2 USB ports that are empty for 99% of the time. Sure if I plug in a camera or USB drive that's for like 2 mins.

But yeah having the extra ports and not using them is no hassle. But not having them and needing them like you all do is an issue. I do think Apple should sell a USB hub for this very issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.