Only an observation: my complaint about Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
The biggest design floor on the iMac is the dang ports being right on the back... seriously stupid I reckon.

Yes.. have two or whatever on the back for permanent port users such as printers but when I have to plug in my camera or iphone/ ipod I have to pull the computer right out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
Yes, I totally agree.. Even one on the other side would be handy because on the new gen MBP they are awfully close together and some usb connnectors cannot fit at the one time beside each other which is annoying at the best of times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I guess I feel lucky never needed more than 2 got a networking printer and use an external drive for Time Machine tethered to an Airport Extreme a WD with firewire for various other things so one port
for a thumb drive ever so often and the other port for docking not at the same time the iPod,iPhone and iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I do think Apple should sell a USB hub for this very issue.
I agree, they should, just to get people to shut up about it.

They'd charge twice what ordinary hubs cost, but people would buy it anyway. And they'd love it, because it'd be such a sleek, high-quality hub.

(Actually, Apple displays have USB hubs in them, and my above comment stands.)

Reaction score
Irritated...

To not be able to use my mobile broadband card along with one other device....like a printer, flash drive, Garmin device...is substandard.

The whole idea of having a Macbook Pro is the ability to carry around fewer, lighter components....not more. A separate hub is a pain.

Answer: Three or more ports, sufficiently spread out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
I think 2 USB is more than enough on a notebook. The MBA only has one port >_<".

What devices do you have connected that you need 4? I have my Wacom Tablet connected at all times, and the only other device that I connect or use often is my external HDD and thumb drives.

MBA has two.....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
MBA has two.....

The newer ones have two. :p

To not be able to use my mobile broadband card along with one other device....like a printer, flash drive, Garmin device...is substandard.

The whole idea of having a Macbook Pro is the ability to carry around fewer, lighter components....not more. A separate hub is a pain.

Answer: Three or more ports, sufficiently spread out.

Thanks for necorbumping the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
As for USB ports. There is an average on the non-netbook machines to have between 2 and 4. There is no set number. My old 15" laptop had 3; 2 on one side, 1 on the other. My MBP 17" has 3 on the same side.

While there were times I needed more than 3 they were few and far between. I used a powered USB hub for those times.

Fewer USB ports on the go means you dont have to bring so much gear around while on the go.

And, if you think about it, the 3 main peripherals for Macs are the Magic Mouse, Trackpad and Keyboard - all Bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I just got a Belkin powered USB hub, I keep it on my desk plugged into my laptop USB fan that has three more USB ports attached to it, giving me a total of 7...crude, but it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.