Having problems connecting xbox360 to Airport Express

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just recently picked up a mad catz wireless N router in order to get on xbox live, unfortunately I'm having extreme difficulty setting it up and cannot get it to connect to my Airport Express. My main laptop right now is a Macbook Pro running OS X. Can anyone give me a step by step layout of what I need to do to get this thing working?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
How is your Xbox connected to the router? Is it an ethernet cable or are you trying to do wi-fi. If the latter, do you have the adapter for the 360?

Have you tried running a connection test in 360? Hit the home button, go all the way to the right, Preferences -> Network Configuration -> Connection test (or something like that). Where is the failure? Can you connect to the router? To the Internet? To Live?

The problem may be as simply as opening your NAT and forwarding the ports to the 360? Both of these can be done in the router configuration. Ports 88 and 3074 are necessary for Live -- do TCP/UDP for both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, you may want to give your 360 a static IP so that each time it starts up the ports are forwarded to the correct device. This can also be done under Network Configuration. Pick an IP address outside the range reserved by your router. The subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0. For gateway, put in your router address.

Reaction score
Help with Xbox 360 live

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY JANUS 006:The problem may be as simply as opening your NAT and forwarding the ports to the 360? Both of these can be done in the router configuration. Ports 88 and 3074 are necessary for Live -- do TCP/UDP for both.[/QUOTE]

I open up NAT in Airport utility but my options there are "enable default host" and "enable NAT port mapping protocol"

I don't see anything about selecting ports or TCP/UDP. Can you give me a little more guidance?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Also, you may want to give your 360 a static IP so that each time it starts up the ports are forwarded to the correct device. This can also be done under Network Configuration. Pick an IP address outside the range reserved by your router. The subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0. For gateway, put in your router address.

I know this will sound like a dumb question, but how do I pick an IP address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To give the 360 a static IP, go to Network Settings on the 360. The menu options I gave you last time were a bit off. Hit the Home button, go to the right, select settings and then System settings (something like this; I'm not at home right now). Then go to network settings, edit settings, click on the basic settings and then go to edit, and finally manual.

For the IP address, pick something outside the default range for your router:

Ex:

IP: 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (or whatever your subnet is)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's address is)

This will give your 360 a static IP.

Now, you haven't answered my question regarding whether you have a wired/wireless connection. I need to know this, and if you are attempting a wireless connection, if you have the adapter.

I do not have an airport express, so I'm not familiar with the configuration. It seems like your probably should enable NAT port mapping protocol. From there you probably have the option to go to advanced settings and then forward ports 88 and 3074 to your 360. The following discussion may provide insight:

Xbox 360: Open NAT (using Airport Express) [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums

Look at RMH1960's first post.

As for your AE not even recognizing the 360, I don't know how to address that problem. I will know more when you tell me how you are connected.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

I am connecting wirelessly through my time capsule. The cable line is coming into a motorola surfboard (not sure if that is relevant) which then has an ethernet cable into the time capsule. the X Box is connecting wirelessly. and Yes I have the adpater on the xbox

Am, about to set up static ip per your instructions now.

Thanks gain for the help

Reaction score
So here is what I have tried so far.

XBOX SETTINGS:

IP Address: I have tried several.

10.0.1.235 -- This was the IP address suggested by RMH1960 in the archived post
172.16.42.3 -- This was my attempt to select an IP address outside of my router range. I picked it based on the "Guest Network DHCP range" in my airport utility.

Subnet mask:255.255.248.0 (This is the subnet mask identified in airport utility)

Gateway: 75.65.232.1 (This is the router number in my airport utility) (I also tried 10.0.1.1 based upon the RMH1960 suggestion in the email link but that number did not work)

Primary DNS: 68.87.68.166 (Taken straight from Primary DNS listed in airport utility)

Secondary DNS: 68.87.76.166 (the secondary DNS listed in airport utility)

I have also input the following at the NAT tab as suggested by the RMH 1960 email:

Public UDP Port(s): 88
Public TCP Port(s): 3074
Private IP Address: 10.0.1.235
Private UDP Port(s): 88
Private TCP Ports(s): 3074

One thing suggested by RMH 1960 which I did not do:

* RMH suggested that I call my ISP to get the primary and secondary DNS. I assume since these are listed in my airport utility I should use the listed DNS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never used Time Capsule or any Apple-branded Internet device, so you'll have to bear with me. What device is serving as your router? Is it the Time Capsule or is that serving as a signal booster? It sounds like your router is actually the Mad Catz device.

Can everything else in your house connect?

Don't use the exact numbers provided in the link I gave you. That is specific to his own setup, and if it works for you it is pure coincidence.

How do you get to your router configuration page? Is it all done through the Time Capsule, or is there a way to access the Mad Catz configuration?

In any case, you need to find the configuration and determine the local IP address for your router. Somewhere in the configuration, you will find the auto IP address range that your router uses. This means that the router automatically assigns some number within that range to attached devices. You want to pick a number on the end not in that range. In may case, my router is 192.168.1.1, the range is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.51. And I picked 192.168.1.102 for my 360. You seem to have found your subnet, so that should probably work.

Can your Xbox even see your network? When you do a connection test, what does it say?

I googled your problem and found a lot of results. Here is one discussion:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Time Capsule & XBOX 360 ...

Here is a Youtube video that I have not watched (at a public computer right now), which might be helpful:

YouTube - How To Set Up XBOX 360 Wireless Adapter With Time Capsule

If nothing is working, you may need to post some screenshots from your configuration page so that I have an idea of what is going on.

Reaction score
You're not going to believe this. The Youtube video basically instructed me to turn everything off in a particular order and then restart everything and try again at allowing the xbox to automatically find my network and assign the ip address.

Worked like a charm. Turn it off, count to 100, and turn it back on. Who Knew??

Thanks for your help with this. I have a very happy 11 year old who has ben at home sick for the past three days wishing he could at least try out the xbox live he got for his birthday.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.