No Sound on Mac Mini

CJT

Reaction score
Hello,

Here at work, I use a Mac Mini 3,1 (2 ghz core 2 duo) running OS X 10.5.7 on which everything works fine except there is no audio. The hardware info says there's an Intel hi-def audio device (0x10DECB79) present, and there is a headset port on the back of the case, but when I try to use the sound control panel, the controls are grayed out and the "muted" button is checked and also grayed out. I did speak to IT but haven't gotten any help from them. I was wondering if this is something my work did to prevent me from listening to music, etc., or if this could be a hardware problem that is known and can be fixed. (I've tried using headphones but that doesn't work, the volume buttons on the keyboard just give the crossed-out speaker sign) I have an admin password that I received to download some necessary software, but the admin privileges don't help with audio, as there's no admin-level audio functions that I can see, you either can access them or you can't (unless there's an admin ability to mute sound on some other control panel other than audio). Anyway, thanks for any insights into what might be causing my audio controls to be muted and grayed out.

OP
C

CJT

Reaction score
Sorry to bump the post but I'm at the end of my rope. Any ideas on how to get sound on a Mac Mini? Again: sound options are grayed out and mute button is checked and grayed out. Thanks ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Do other Macintoshes in the workplace exhibit this behavior?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there a red light coming out of the sound out port on this machine?

That very well could be the issue. We used to get posts all the time with Macbooks and MBP's with the Red light out of the audio out jack meaning it was stuck in Optical mode. All Intel Mini's use that same jack.

OP
C

CJT

Reaction score
No ... no red light. If it were stuck in optical mode, are there steps I could take to get it out of that mode? It might be worth trying just to see.

Reaction score
Same problem here

Mine goes beyond the greyed out sound icon, as that just started happening two days ago. I've found that simply sticking a speaker cable in the port and then taking it out again wakes up the sound. However, I fear this is another intermittent sound problem that will get worse.

You see, for the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to get any sound at all through any external speakers (They all work fine when connected to other sources: the problem's definitely not the speakers or the cables.). At first it was an intermittent problem solved (again) by unplugging and re-plugging the speaker cable, and now it simply only plays through the built in speaker (except when the sound isn't working at all..)

Going to Apple store later on this morning- luckily my machine is still covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
A quick question - if you go into System Preferences -> Sound, there is a button that is labeled Output.

If you click on that, what does it show in the list of available outputs? ie: Does it show digital out? Does it show headset? Does it show internal Speakers? And whatever is in the list - what is currently selected?

Reaction score
omg dude. that totally happened to my dad's mac mini too. He just got it off work as a personal computer and he told me to set it up. But then I found out there was no sound and the sound thing doesnt appear at the top right bar. it only shows a blank space. I need serious help cuz my dad needs the sound.

ps. I used earplugs too but it never worked

OP
C

CJT

Reaction score
reds baseline

Maybe we'll both be able to get some info, Asta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8gb mem
fix to external speaker problem, sound icon grayed out

I'm having the same issue and will try the PRAM reset when I get home today.

1. Reboot mac
2. press and hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys
3. hold the keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time.
4. release keys.

This problem happened months ago and appeared again after updating my osx to 10.6.3.
If I remember correctly, this is how I fixed it last time.

OP
C

CJT

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try it. Does resetting the PRAM have any other effects I should know about? I.e., is there a chance something that's working correctly now won't be after the reset?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PRAM reset didn't work

Turns out my audio input jack on my imac is shorting out.
The cable connector feels loose in the jack.
3 1/2 months old.
I'll take it to my local Apple store this week to have them look at it.
Very strange coincidence that it would choose to fail right after the osx update.

Reaction score
same problem

I have had this same problem for a while now, done everything but open it up and checked for loose wires. Since my problem happen after re-installing OS and re-re-installing OS has not fixed the problem, I am at a wits end with this thing. I am trying to re-install the audio driver, but I can't find one or even find were is is suppose to go.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had this same problem for a while now, done everything but open it up and checked for loose wires. Since my problem happen after re-installing OS and re-re-installing OS has not fixed the problem, I am at a wits end with this thing. I am trying to re-install the audio driver, but I can't find one or even find were is is suppose to go.

Is your Mini an Intel Mini? What version of OSX is installed?

Also another question, when you hit the power button, do you get the Startup sound out of the internal speaker on the Mini?

What all have you tried to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple store replaced audio

I finally got around to taking my iMac to the apple store.
They replaced the audio out/in and it works (after taking it in twice, they failed to fix it correctly the first time).
Unfortunately, the Apple Genious laid my iMac on the counter glass side down and scratched it.
The techs also managed to scratch the inside of the glass and left smudges on the inside glass.
What can be more fun than to carry a 21 inch aluminum iMac through a mall parking lot and through the mall during the holidays?
Working with customer support to resolve this new situation.

Reaction score
A possible fix for this problem

Hi, I have had this problem also on my Intel 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. I have tried some of the software solutions around on the web such as zapping PRAM, etc. But in my experience the fix that works is to open your Mac Mini and unseat and then reseat the orange Foxconn ribbon audio cable where it connects from the Mini's audio board, to what I assume is the main circuit board. Then when you reassemble and turn on your Mac, audio will be back.

My theory is that unplugging and re-plugging USB and audio cables on the back near the audio board eventually loosens that ribbon cable and causes the audio to stop working and the volume control to become grayed out. My latest attempt at a solution is to have USB and analog 2.5mm stereo audio 'extender' cables plugged in on the back of my Mini, which loop forwards are then all taped quite securely to the top of the Mini. This allows me to plug and unplug cables without ever disturbing the USB and audio ports on the back around the audio port. It is a somewhat ugly solution but seems to be working so far. I'll post later on if the volume control gets grayed out again even with these measures.

Reaction score
Fix

You're on the right track with the orange flat cable. That cable plugs into a white connector on the vertical board at the back of the optical drive. The white connector contains a bunch of gold contact "pinch pins" that are supposed to grab the end of the flat cable. Over time, those pins lose their spring and stop making good contact with the cable. The fix is to remove the cable, use a flat screwdriver or other small tool to gently squeeze the pins back together (pushing the outer edge of the white connector toward the circuit board), so that they offer some resistance when you plug the flat cable back into the connector. This should get the audio working reliably again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.