CF card, reader, or worse?

B

braniffman

Hello,

I just got back from a big shoot, sat down to do some editing and noticed that my CF card was not mounting. Nothing is showing on the desktop, not apps are opening, ect.....The card in the camera (EOS 10D) seems fine, so I suspect it might be my cheapo card reader, I re-checked the connection to the USB hub just to make certain that it was plugged in. I had to finally hook up the camera to my Mac, still I much prefer to use the reader. Has anyone experienced a similar problem. I am hoping that it is not the camera or Mac as both seem to be working just fine. Any tips, advice helps would be apperciated.

Regards,

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have always had problems with CF readers. I think I am on my 4th reader right now as the others just went bad.

I am using a dazzle USB 2.0 reader now which I haven't had any problems with but I still prefer importing on my laptop with a PCMCIA card reader

OP
B

braniffman

Oddly enough that is the reader that I am using now. Well, I'll pick up a new reader tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed that the reader is the culprit. If not the I may have to buy a new card.

Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I highly doubt it is the card. I have seen many readers fail before

OP
S

speedydave

Wow, I must be really lucky then. I'm on my third reader, but that's because the first one was a USB 1.0 and it got annoying waiting for a 512mb card full of pics to transfer, then my first USB2.0 reader broke (my fault - bent one of the pins by accident and couldn't bend it back). I'm using a SanDisk USB2.0 reader right now and have had no problems with it at all. Then again, I don't own a mac yet, and that may be part of the problem (I don't see why it would be, though).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.