Reformatting An External Hard Drive

Reaction score
ok..noob alert

i have the old hard dive out of my hp...it's been wiped. to reformat, i went to disk utilities > 7 pass > fat 32

right or wrong?

if wrong, please show a brother some help!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How are you connecting it to the Mac, and what purpose do you intend to use it for?

OP
R
Reaction score
through a 3.5 external hard drive case....firewire 400 w/800 adapter, just to move pics, etc over to it in case of hard drive failure...just storage

edit - it keeps asking do i want to back it up w/time machine -y or n?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The FAT-32 file system is limited to a maximum file size of around 4 GB. That means if you have large (greater than 4 GB) video files (movies, etc) to store on the drive, you will be unable to do so.

A better file format for the drive if it is to only be used with your Mac, is HFS Extended Journaled. In order to use any external drive for Time Machine backups, it must be formatted using HFS Extended Journaled.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.