Cleaning out ITunes duplicates

Reaction score
I made a mistake in switching my ITunes folder from one hard drive to another and would up with over 10,000 duplicates. Is there any way other than manually going thru and deleting every duplicate for me to select and wipe these out?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can do File->Show Duplicates to show you all the duplicates and then you can select them and wipe them. Still a bit of chore, almost easier sometimes to blow everything away and restart...

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm doing as we speak is manually. I was hoping for a piece of software of something from MAC to handle this. Thanks for the assist!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you had the duplicates imported from two separate locations, you could delete one of them and iTunes would put an exclamation mark against the missing files, and you could've sorted on that and bulk deleted.

I don't know of any other way of deleting duplicates within iTunes..quite a pain indeed..

Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't tried Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Dupin - iTunes Duplicates Manager - v2.0.6 yet but it might do the trick. That site has several similar scripts if that one doesn't meet your needs.

I wish I had used something like this about two weeks ago when I was deleting some duplicates. I noticed that the duplicate finder in iTunes has some limits (especially when dealing with Jazz/Blues albums). It would, for example, often flag two songs as duplicates based on song titles even if the album and track duration were different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.