Hard Drive Self-Unmounting?

P

prophet

Apparetly this is my iBooks new favorite past time. It's happened twice now, and it's getting rediculous, because as I was told by Tech Support, the only way to fix it is to erase the drive and reinstall OSX.

This is totally lame.

And I've had way more problems with this computer than I've ever had with a Windows box.

Where as a Windows machine seems to mess up all the time,

my iBook messes up less... but with bigger problems. I'm just glad school is over and I didn't lose any thesis papers or anything... twice. All I lost is my mp3 collection twice.

But seriously, what is the deal? How can it just unmount itself?

Reaction score
What hard drive ? It would be nice if you'd expalin the problem a bit more. What were you doing when it happend? Does it happen when you have the same apps open ?

OP
P

prophet

it happens all the time. I'll be sitting there using iTunes and Firefox or somthing, and then the computer locks up, I restart and then...

poof

like the drive never existed. And the drive gets renamed disk0s2 or somthing like that. But it says in Disk Repair when I run the boot disk "disk not mounted"

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of that before... How do you manage to get the HD mounted again? Maybe you should call apple and see what they say about it, might be a faulty drive. Or if you damaged it.... ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.