Power supply fan always on at 2800 rpm

Reaction score
OK, here's the situation. I moved to a new office and a new computer after someone left. It's a Mac Pro running 10.4.11 with Nvidia Quadro FX 4500. The Power supply fan is always running at 2800rpm from startup.
I've reset the SMC and PRAM
Plug directly into wall
tried Using SMCFanControl
Dusted it out (there was none)
No warranty left.

What do I do now? Please help, this thing is loud.

PS I don't know how the person who was here before me never thought this was annoyingly loud, she had a G4 before so that might explain it. And she was partially deaf, probably because of this machine.

OP
TwistyO
Reaction score
UPDATE: I seem to have stumped everyone :)
Ran hardware test got error code 4M0T/1/40000003 : PS. So it's a hardware issue, but not sure what piece of hardware. Is the control for the fan, on the fan itself, or controlled on the circuit board?
Does anyone know where to find a description of Hardware error codes? I've googled to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
According to Apple 4MOT is Fan Motors. Since you got a non-0 on the end, check to make sure the fan blades are unobstructed, that they're properly connected to the logic board.
Can't be sure without running ASD
solution: replace fans and retest. Still won't work, then replace the logic board.

OP
TwistyO
Reaction score
I unplugged the fan and the Mac wouldn't turn on at all? weird. probably a safety issues so it won't overheat. It's definitely not obstructed, (see title). I have a feeling I'll be bringing it in to be fixed rather than purchasing items I may or may not need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I unplugged the fan and the Mac wouldn't turn on at all? weird. probably a safety issues so it won't overheat. It's definitely not obstructed, (see title). I have a feeling I'll be bringing it in to be fixed rather than purchasing items I may or may not need.

The error is for your power supply fans - you disconnected those? They don't have to be totally obstructed to give an error, but with what you've said it looks like you're replaced the logic board.

You never listed the year of your Mac Pro so I can't say how expensive it will be. Go eBay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.